Monday, May 9, 2022

Our Friend and Teacher, Gale Murray




 In Hebrews 11 after all the people of faith are mentioned, the verse that follows starts out with the word, others. The others are faithful ones who stood fast in faith with the Lord in persecution and ultimately paid the price with their lives. No names given but the phrase, "they were too good for this world" always stands out. A week ago Sunday children, grandchildren, friends, loved ones and Newfound Baptist Church lost one of those too good for this world, Gale Murray. She was my Sunday School teacher when I first arrived here. 

She had difficulties along the way but from all I've seen, they never discouraged her from having a joyful heart and finding that strength she needed in the joy of the Lord. Her laugh was infectious and lovely to hear yet her knowledge of the Bible was immense and she delighted in sharing and teaching God's Word. Gale's enthusiasm for taking God's Word to the world couldn't be squelched. Her family and friends adored her. Her presence made every party or gathering special when she put her touch on the event. Many Sundays we were welcomed into our Sunday School room, with praise music playing in the background. All the materials that came with the quarterlies, well she used them. Those maps were thumbtacked to the bulletin board as she pointed out the major areas or cities of whomever we were studying about that morning. We passed around the Bible Illustrator magazine to see ruins and sacred places as well as knowing the history of events and stories in the Holy Land. 



There are many others who have known her much longer but whether it was a short time or a lifetime, she made her mark and impression on your life. Once when Lisa P visited, we invited her to come along on a drive through the Blue Ridge Parkway. She sat on the edge of her seat, full safety belted in of course, taking in the rich beauty of the drive. Lisa is afraid of heights and the parkway doesn't always have guardrails on the curves. We stopped at the Pisgah Inn to take in some views. We walked gingerly to a railing keeping in mind Lisa's aversion to heights. We arrive at the railing, Lisa is somewhat relaxed and finally taking it all in when Gale says, "you know that is a long way down, higher than I thought." I am laughing, Lisa isn't moving a muscle and Gale, she realizes that might have not been the right thing to say at the moment, but dang it, we laughed and teased each other so hard on our trip back to the parking lot. Before knee replacements, touring the Biltmore House was not something I was able to do anymore, but Gale being a passholder came to the rescue and took Lisa through the house. Gale knew the history and the stories of the rooms and it was better than a Biltmore docent giving a tour. Lisa and I were staying at the Inn for Lisa to get the Inn on the Biltmore Estate experience and also to celebrate my birthday. Gale met us at the Inn and she loved the room we had. She said, well I better go to the bathroom before going to the house and I can say this is the fanciest bathroom, I have to take advantage of the experience. While she was in there, she left her phone and let's just say her two mischievous friends took selfies for entertainment purposes that she might just enjoy later. After they toured the house, we all had lunch on the Veranda. What a memorable birthday celebration. 



Gale had The JOY Class over several times for class parties. The views and the iconic barn set the stage of the mountains. We especially enjoyed her new picture window that had an outstanding view. She was a good hostess and may I also mention, cook. Once when Dena was visiting, Gale asked if we'd like to go back to her house after the 5th Sunday fellowship at church. Dena had a blast, we all did, but getting to see that special place was a treat for Dena.




 At that time I took a picture of Gale's desk near a window. She prepared and prayed each week for her lesson at that spot. I had the picture up where I could see it at home to remember to pray for Gale as she prepared to teach each week.



Gale and Judy approached me during a church fellowship when Carole Lewis was here visiting. Judy asked if I would like to teach every third Sunday. What is so funny and yes, God is always in the details, that very afternoon Carole asked me when I would take up teaching again. Told her I had laid that at Jesus' feet, not to pick up again. Carole responded, well I am going to pray that God will let you know to pick teaching back up and that night, Judy and Gale asked the third Sunday question. Later I asked Carole if she had heard the question and she had but didn't really thinking anything of it...I said, they asked me to start team teaching and Carole happy then sad. She said I didn't even get to pray about that. And as they say the rest is history. 



In July 2019 after the back porch had been remodeled, I had the class over for a Saturday afternoon party. Gale announced then due to health reasons, she would be stepping away from teaching and passing the torch to me. She left some big shoes to fill and I don't know that I am doing a good job with those organizational and personal touches she added to our lives. Oh and Bible knowledge....

At her service on Saturday, which was truly beautiful and honoring, we all were reminded or learned that all her joy, her example, her teaching, her enthusiasm, and love has left a legacy on her family, her love and work for the Lord will carry on. They serve the Lord and others. The video tribute to her had the children and grandchildren telling stories of life and memories. So well done. Gale had requested balloons at her service and they were absolutely beautiful in arrangement.



Yesterday morning the lesson was on perseverance and enduring. The perfect lesson to give us a chance to remember our friend, tear up a bit and then joyfully laugh. We will see you again Gale. Hope you've met my mom in heaven. I sure do love you! Thank you for investing in me. 




2 comments:

Donna Murray said...

Thank you for this beautiful tribute to our lovely Granna.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and deserving tribute to a true lady!