Monday, April 15, 2024

The Right to Write or Something Like That

 Something I didn't appreciate at the time but in retrospect appreciate more is the amount of time, reading and classes we had on leadership when our pastor came on staff at Houston's First lo those many years ago. Many of the principles we learned are good for church work, business and life. Not that I am in a leadership position now except I do teach Sunday School. Reluctantly, guess that is leadership but I don't think of it that way.

Roy is going to workout earlier than usual today and get a couple of errands ran. While we will have an 86% coverage during the eclipse. The afternoon will certainly warm up. We did a looksee at the apple trees and such last night. Doesn't seem that any frost affected them with our two nights of dipping temps. The tulips out front are the most radiant and brilliant color than any before. Even the ones in the back look healthy. 

Surprise, surprise, we didn't make it all the way through the lesson yesterday. We got at a good stopping point and we will pick up with chapter 31 on Sunday. This look at Laban and Jacob is so interesting, so much to learn. Jacob probably his mom was the schemer extraordinaire but when he met his uncle, he truly had met the master supplanter and schemer of the family.  

******

Thursday morning with rain but the apple trees are blooming. That is always a welcomed sight. Last night we had the worst wind. It woke me up enough to get up and check the view outside. Then I was wide awake so I retreated to the front bedroom to read. I was asking the Lord to calm the wind and when Roy got up and checked on me on his way to the bathroom, I asked him to pray as well. Roy was just like Jesus in the boat, sound asleep. I got tickled thinking about waking him up and saying, "don't you even care?" He probably woke up cause he was getting restful sleep with me away cause I toss and turn something awful, especially here lately. The wind died down with puffy gusts once in a while, but I would sing softly, peace be still. Maybe it was too much of a joyful noise to the Lord or maybe He heard my prayer. Think He heard my prayer. 

I saw the most interesting 11 second reel on false adventure. I watched it several times and tried to do some research but with an attention span of a gnat and needing full concentration for lesson study I left it for another time. Some of this I had been thinking about but didn't have a description for what I wondered about. The quote, "People choose false adventures if they don't choose real adventures. Martyrs, enemies and angry when unnecessary, those are forms of false adventures." Dr Jordan Peterson  I think you can really find lots of people on false adventures all around social media. They may have fought a real situation, like twenty years ago, long time over but they'll share quotes or their own thoughts on a situation that really no longer affects them. Most of them are issues that plague modern life but most of these people have been sitting on the sidelines for years. Like all the sudden in the midst of family pics and reports, the bold statement appears on their timeline..." I support those who love their cabbage patch doll!" I'm thinking, cabbage patch kids are back? Are there people who are being ridiculed for playing dolls? Usually there are other odd statements about things or problems that have long ago gone away or has been solved. There is almost a militant voice in these posts. Come on, cross me. Question me on this. I am prepared to defend cabbage patch kids but it doesn't seem like anyone addresses the strange and new stance presented. But this concept of false adventure rings true. Yesterday in class, yes it is Monday and I didn't use *****. I support the right to write into new days without using *****. I defend those who do this, so I guess I am defending myself. Anyway, in class yesterday as we studied Laban and Jacob, we got to the verses where Laban goes through everything looking for his idol gods that have been stolen. Rachel, uses I started my period for the excuse of not moving off her camel saddle. Those period stories can be helpful in times of need or in this case deception. He touches everything that Jacob owns and this is what sets Jacob off as he starts his soliloquy  of  wrongs done to him by Laban during the past twenty years. I was talking to Roy about the lesson last week and the whole touch the belongings really became important to me. Roy was like, this isn't a big deal. But to me and my voice tone gave me away yesterday when I told the class about growing up in a house where my father went through things in my room, touching it all and dumping the contents of the dresser into the middle of my bedroom. He found my diary on one of these tirades. I had written about what was going on in our family and how scared and mad I was over this. Man, once confronted by my words by him, I changed course and only wrote the opposite of what was happening. Like, " we are the happiest family. We are loved and wanted..." Well, by my mom yes but not my father. Side note, I wrote about what was going on and how we were being treated by my father. I wrapped the note up in aluminum foil and buried it by the gas meter in the backyard. Just in case something happened to us but more likely to me. Does this touching and dumping stuff fill my mind everyday. Nope. Have I gone to therapy to be given life tools to heal this trauma. Oh yes I have. But, I am not hitting FB or X today with some rage against the insanity type topic because it is no longer relevant to me. Best advice given was, you're reacting like you did as a child but now you're an adult and can deal, heal and solve the hurts.  Sometimes when I share stories of childhood, I've been contacted by others letting me know how much help they received from the blog post.  The telling thing about the whole Jacob vent against Laban concerns Laban's reaction to what Jacob has said...well be that as it may, everything is mine but your God has handicapped me from taking action against you. Makes me think, wow how powerful was that dream of Laban's? 

We are making a trip to Lowe's for more potting soil and a few other things. Roy will work out later this afternoon. Weed pulling is calling my name, but I may let that call go to voicemail. The week temps look to be warmer so all those things we have been putting off outside should get taken care of...again, might be a voicemail thing. 

No comments: