Wednesday, September 19, 2018

It Is Already Wednesday....

Most in our area were surprised with sunshine yesterday morning. The forecasts predicted that rain and wind would loom over the area for most of the day. We were fortunate that Florence made a northerly turn much sooner than anticipated. This morning we've had just a few sprinkles of rain and now that looks to be clearing out. Got the kids fed out back with it just being Riley and Cali this morning. Camo is hanging around out there somewhere. I talked with my neighbor Mary Joyce yesterday afternoon. She feeds Cali and I have forgotten the name she has given her, in the evening. So, now when she just picks at food or walks away, she has probably had supper with Mary Joyce. She had wondered what had happened to the kittens and sadly it was my duty to report that only Riley survived. Mary Joyce told of Cali going down our road, yes, seen that, scares me for her, and then loosing track of her movements. She fears that Cali will get hit on our busy road in front of us. I confirmed seeing Cali do the same and crossing the road over into the deep ditch near the cows. That Cali, she might have been the runt of the litter but she has become the most adventurous. She is the only member of the Feral Fam that comes into the garage beyond the doorway. I let her look around because the need for her to come into the garage one day for safety....well, she is used to coming in and being left alone. Any attempt to get near, she runs for the door.

We didn't experience too much of Florence, not even winds. The rain gauge shows about two inches of rain. Others were not so fortunate, Wilmington is still cut off with supplies running low and waiting for the water to drain. Groups are there ready to help and others like our church are waiting to mobilize. As Dennis told us in church Sunday, you don't have to have any carpenter skills for this trip because it will mostly be deconstruction, ripping out walls and flooring.

Peggy called yesterday morning to check on me and the result of the call was a great brainstorming time for something that she has coming up. Lisa texted me Sunday morning asking if Florence had kept me at home...no, it was a TT Sunday...teaching in Sunday School and tambourining in big church.
************************
Nothing, nothing on the schedule and I am thrilled because this day will include some production but mostly it will be a day to read and write. Yesterday, I had stuff to take care of, like making Ninfa's green sauce for book club. It wasn't my best but the avocados had a lot to do with that. I think everyone enjoyed it and only Cait knew what the real tastes like. Like she said it was good, but the depth to the taste wasn't there...again avocados play a huge role. She told me where she gets hers at a little Mexican market nearby. We liked the book but agreed it was kind of difficult to keep the characters straight...so many. Also, my take was everything came too easy for these women... Our next selection is Pat Conroy and recipes from his life. Looking forward to that.

So it is kind of one of those days when obvious summer clothes are being stored for next year and some of them are being put in the bag for Salvation Army. This year I am trying not to store away anything that seems like it hasn't been worn enough or not worn at all. Even in these warm temps the longing for flannel shirts, jeans and boots has taken my attention.

This year I haven't written as much as usual on the good ol' Monablog. I have been working on something that has taken away any extra writing time. It is kind of amusing some of the memories that are coming back and a good laugh is had. Several times I have almost called Doug to tell him what is making me laugh. I told my Sunday School class in the lesson last week about my big plan to get thrown out of church in order to meet the goal of well...not going to church. So, I shared about the time after much planning, but no prayer, that I cussed a blue streak in Sunday School so the teacher would tell my parents, they would be mortified and we would never darken the door again. But God had this Sunday School teacher handle it so wisely, she stopped the class and they prayed for me. Big plans blown to bits. Then everyone in the class walked past me when class was over and said they would continue to pray for me. Ugh!

By nature, I am really pretty much a rule follower but if I think the rules are stupid or useless...a little rebellion kicks in. You can think back to those growing up years, there were rules that were known to the family but not to anyone outside the fam. If there were multiple packages of cookies, only one could be opened at a time...and not until the said cookies had been consumed, could another package be opened. Doug had a friend who thought we were being funny and he opened another package of cookies before the others had been consumed. My father was nice about it but he set Doug's friend straight on how we abide by these things. Sadly, when we really could have had fun times, all the rules invented by our father squelched any bit of fun that could have been had. Sometime I wonder if people who are excessive rule makers, cause they want to control everything, even notice how others feel about all the rules...not even guidelines, but edicts that are declared and expected to be followed. Most people will send regrets after a while. Happened many times when my dad planned different things, never could see if he would loosen his grip and let people be, he could have had a lot more fun.

Well my break is over for now, onward toward moving into fall...at least in the closets.




No comments: