Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Cats, Tags, Burgers and Jams

Buddy is taking in the fine temperatures and sun on the front porch and the kittens out back are playing those wild kitten games and feats of strength. Makes it difficult to get anything done because they are so entertaining.

I decided to try and pick up my temporary handicap tags. Last year being able to park closer to buildings really helped my intolerance for heat and kept the ol' ticker in rhythm. The line was longish so I punted and took a scenic drive over to Mars Hill to stop in at TJ's. They had a delivery of local beef and pork that morning but I was too late to get a steak to try because they were sold out. I picked up a package of hamburger and think I will make sliders this weekend. Got a few more peaches,  tomatoes, and a flat of beautiful zinnias. I was able to plant several before a nice rain shower came through. In a bit I'll check on the transplanted sunflowers but as of last evening they were looking like they had perked up a bit from the shock of transplanting. Last night I looked at several options on modified wheel barrels and think there is one that will do all the jobs that need to be done around here.
**********
Pick up of tag successful this morning and no waiting. Got there a little after 9:00. I debated on whether to run a couple of errands or come home. I came home to check on Buddy. Her old age is giving her problems this week. Nothing that seems to warrant a visit to the vet but it is tough watching your cat companion of nearly 15 years, deal with old age. She gives glimmers though of a youngish cat. She played with an empty paper bag this morning as well as chased a cardboard tie around the kitchen. Now she's napping and I'm feeling that call as well.

Our pastor and deacons have decided we will have outdoor church until the end of June. Several of us wanted to clap, but we held off on that. It struck me as funny yesterday that I parked by first base and sat in short right field. The chairman of the deacons prayed during the service and he said to the effect thank you God for this beautiful sanctuary you have given us. Yep, sitting on a softball field, lush green verdant mountains for a background, blue sky, hawks, birds singing and a pastor who preaches the Word. It is a lovely sanctuary in deed.
**********
Wednesday morning and the forecast is rain. Right now it is just overcast but the radar indicates that rain is moving toward us. It can be moving toward us but that doesn't mean it will get here. Last evening I went to the flowerbed to water and as I was wrapping up that work I could see rain moving our way. A fine mist that obscured long range mountain views. So, guess the watering primed a little rain shower.

Cat world right now is topsy turvy. Inside, Buddy is not feeling well and she now has a vet appointment. I know she is a geriatric cat but there might be an underlying problem. We've had rough nights of late. She has always been a meowing cat and she isn't meowing more than usual, but her demeanor is different. She still is eating, drinking and pooping, so that is all good. The past week or so Punky has not been herself. She came around in the evening and didn't eat much. I've been keeping my eye open for an opportunity to scoop her up, but she had pretty much stopped rubbing around my legs while preparing food for the fam. Her little black kitten that we could not rescue has been hanging around the yard a bit and just that makes me think that Punky might no longer be with us. These cats have proven that theory wrong before and I hope that is true this time. What I have gathered in watching these cats over the years is this, when one of them is not doing well, they sit with it. They put aside their cat differences and surround the ailing cat. Cali and Riley did this for a kitten that wasn't going to make it, Edee had her family with her and just the other day Strawyer sat with Punky, but not in the usual way. In other cat news, Mama Cat is not in the backyard this morning. Now with her, it could be several things, but she has been known to dump her kittens with me and she moves on. The past few days of observation made me think she was getting to that point. Now, to get the kittens but with Buddy I am hesitant. She does not share attention well...so I am at a quandary. Just a couple of weeks ago I felt overwhelmed by the ferals. Even one of the male cats that comes around now and then showed up last night and I think he has a broken front leg or at least an injured one. He is here rarely so he hasn't even received a name. Ranger disappeared about a week ago, Frankie, well he hasn't been seen for a couple of weeks. Frankly with Frankie, I am happy not to see him hanging around. He scared me and felt that he might attack me. Big Chief the alpha to the max cat, not around. Darth comes around a bit but I think he is someone's cat who they let out now and then. He is too well groomed and not afraid of my presence. So Beanie, Strawyer, Boo and the kittens are around this morning.

With plans to work around the house yesterday, a FB notification announcing strawberries changed those plans. I had been working out in the garage and believe me, I had a little bit of a Lazarus scent going on. But scent be danged, I did what we all do at times, just sprayed on more deodorant and hope for the best. I got there in time to claim strawberries, just a few buckets left, got some tomatoes, a couple of peaches and two more pounds of hamburger to freeze. Since I came prepared with a cooler, I took the scenic route home along the river road. The mixes of summer fragrances lofted in and out of the car. Hay, river water fragrance, and floral fragrances graced and accompanied me along the drive home. Those fragrances helped with the Lazarus thing....

Oh, an update on my hamburgers....oh my goodness! Out of this world delicious. I have grilled burgers but never fried them in a pan. First attempt successful. My Houston friend Sandy, got me to thinking about getting one of those George Foreman grills. I didn't buy one of those but got a Cuisinart grill that is a multi tasking grill and the grill and flat plates are dishwasher safe. Just like free shipping gets my attention, not having to do a hand washable type cleaning...well, I just ordered me up one, had a coupon and Belk Bucks. I had been thinking of giving away my canner for dummies that I have never used, but after looking through the recipe book, Roy and I decided we are going to try our hand at peach jam. It's a natural, you know, to go with his biscuits.

No comments: