Monday, March 13, 2023

Books, Nostalgia, Fake Naps and Meds

 Sunday, our pastor said, life is but a vapor. Vapor, box of chocolates...thank you Forest Gump. Anyway, in this season of life I would say life is but a vapo...Vicks Vapo Rub. It is fragrance du jour many days but never on Sunday morning. Just a few weeks ago Roy discovered Vicks Vapo Cream and I like it. Not as greasy as the good ol Vicks that mom rubbed on our chests and then pinned a towel around our neck but as effective. My Grandma B must have rubbed off on me here in the older portion of life cause she be lovin' some Vicks. It was a fix all for just about everything. 

I am almost finished with the book, Afternoons With Harper Lee. She certainly had a gift of wit and words and dare I say attitude. I wonder if she liked Vicks? Her friend that wrote the book and has traveled around the world giving talks on her work as well as other well known Alabamian writers. He was a professor for many years at Samford, then went on to great success at that other Tiger school, Auburn. The few times we have driven past Monroeville, AL, I have never been tempted to stop and do the tourist thing. For one, it is not the same with the exception of the courthouse. Still, not enough interest to drag me off the interstate path. Roy and I talked about, briefly, taking another trip to Israel. He has never been but it just doesn't have the pull for him that it has for others. I think it is the same thing as Monroeville. , it is not the same when Jesus was in and out of Jerusalem and Bethany and to the uttermost parts of the country. When it feels so rushed I have a hard time really taking anything in. Really, no time to ponder and pray with hundreds of new best friends. Early morning onto a bus until the evening...I'll be there when it is the New Jerusalem.

These Greeks that came to see Jesus in John 12 have held my attention all week. Lifeway once again, throws us in the middle of a story to fit their narrative, when it seems like we should at least spend a little time on triumphal entry. So, that is where we will begin on Sunday. Once again slinking in the shadows we will find the leaders intent on getting rid of Jesus and evidence of who He is. But in their midst truth is spoken and hopefully the disciples are picking up on what is to come...they didn't. 

I just finished reading Afternoons With Harper Lee. I liked the book a lot and now wishing to be a little more elegant in speech and witticisms that would rival many. Alas, I enjoy that kind of writing and the little stories told impacting the big picture of just about everything. Now onto Beth Moore's memoir. 

The Boys have been especially entertaining this week. We got a collar for Willie and he is accepting it. Mr Mo is the only one we cannot get a collar on. Maybe not so much the collar but the little bell is what bugs him the most. Willie is so fast we needed to be able to hear him.  

**************

This morning I am still stunned at the news of a passing of a friend from church. No warning, no sickness, nothing...Saturday, when I usually fine tune the lesson, I couldn't keep myself interested because I knew we would need to talk and share about our friend's life in Sunday School. I will do a separate post but nothing was the same Sunday morning, a cold wind kept a lot of us from honoring her by wearing open toed shoes cause she wore them year round, snow, sleet, sun, cloudy, sandals of flip flops. 

With the grief of losing a friend, but we know where she is with the Lord, my niece Erin sent pictures from her special engagement trip with then boyfriend, now fiancée, Travis. Pictures taken on the beach and oh I don't know, something told me it wasn't Galveston...no, Oregon. Haven't set a date yet, but my brother says it is a destination wedding. 

Besides the much needed kitchen mopping, thank you Roy for keeping The Boys in the bonus room so I could do this unassisted with little cat paws, I didn't do too much on Saturday. Finished the Harper Lee book and began Beth's memoir. What a gift of telling her life story in such a concise and understandable way instead of bogging down in details that maybe we'd want her to tell. I am almost finished with the book. Loved reading about her early days at HFBC and with seeing a video on FB from the long ago service at FBC as it was known then, brought up a lot of memories from those days. The choir, Gerald Ray, Brother John, and Felix Wagner. Roll the eight year of church memories here with my friend and those years from long ago, Beth's memoir, I was quite nostalgic Saturday night. The chaos from her childhood years with her father, brought to mind the same kind of chaos with mine. One of the best things my therapist told me early on was, you're still seeing yourself as a little girl when it come to your father, with little girl thinking...but you're an adult, and you can think like an adult, make decisions like an adult...The darkness turned to the dawning and the dawning to noonday bright. I was also reminded of several camps I went to at the Peach Creek Baptist Assembly Camp. Beth told us of her week being a sponsor with 6th grade girls. When she described the bunk houses and especially the bathroom, I pictured it completely as described cause lo, I had been there many times during my incarceration, I mean week long GA Camp or Junior Camp and some weekend retreats with our church in youth group. Ah, evening vespers at Peach Creek. 

Last week held a little bit of a heart issue and I felt pretty sure it was medicine related. Low blood pressure, a little lightheaded. It seems that one of my heart meds, now that I have gone the twice a day pills rather than one extended release pill due to drug costs, caused my problem. So, not eating a hearty breakfast, not even eating a non healthy breakfast, the fact was, I didn't eat enough to counteract the absorption rate and that knocked me to the bed a couple of mornings. I just happened to read an article on beta blockers and got the information of the importance of eating beforehand being especially important with the twice a day pills. No wonder it doesn't bother me at night. Anyway, think that is corrected now and Roy has included me in his hearty breakfasts for a few days. Scrambled eggs, bacon, orange and strawberries cut up.  

Hoping that The Boys having brunch just a few minutes ago will calm them down enough for a nap. Lots of hard playing going on. Fake naps, they're back to wrestling. 


No comments: