Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Dearly Loved, Theresa Baker

 I only knew her for eight years and the news of her passing devastated me. I cannot imagine the grief and sadness of those who have known her almost all their lives. No warning, no whispers of , "well, she has been sickly the past few weeks." No, it was texts of prayer requests for her on Friday evening and by Saturday morning the news began to trickle out a bit, Theresa had died, never being able to be resuscitated. Each one of us that texted or talked with one another said the same thing, shocked, stunned with time standing still. This was just a bad dream, come on wake up...We'll see Theresa up there on the stage, without a microphone because her beautiful voice carried through the church, all the way to the back row on Sundays. Now, we will celebrate her life with many others not just from church but throughout the county because she had that kind of effect on people, on Sunday afternoon. She leaves behind, two sons, a daughter in law, a grandchild and her husband. Brothers and sisters. Although, I would think that many would claim her as a family member because she was best known at Mama T. 

The summer of 2014 Roy gave me a month here in the mountains for my 60th birthday. The trip served many functions, to get out of that dagged gum Texas heat, to get me into the cooler temps of the mountains and away from the insanity with my father. A month to begin the search for a home here, never thinking we would return to Texas with a contract and a mortgage broker at the end of that August. Our previous trips were mainly staying at The Inn on the Biltmore Estate and staying close by, on the Estate. I would be rather miffed if we had to give any time to other areas nearby. Boy I didn't know what I was missing out on. Several years before, we had intended to get a condo around here for me to be out of the heat and stress of Houston/Katy. Beginning in spring and staying through the most beautiful parts of fall, then return back to Texas. Roy began to study this seriously and said, do you really want a condo or do you like the Biltmore experience. Uh, Biltmore and he said great cause that is cheaper than buying, furnishing and living here off and on. After my 2008 heart experiences that severely limited any coming and goings, Roy approached me again to think about buying something this way. We prayed about it for weeks and after those weeks he asked me how would I like to have a home here and when he retired, we would retire in NC.  In those last few days of that fabulous month of August, Roy flew in and Brian, our realtor, took us back to a home I was in love with but didn't want to get emotionally attached until Roy saw it. He loved it just like I did but for different reasons...being the practical man that he is. So the morning that we planned to return to Houston, we got the latter start due to the paperwork and such we filled out before making the journey back to Texas with the intentions of being back for Thanksgiving and Christmas, then the moving van arriving here on April 1st. Why am I telling you this in Theresa's story, well, it can be difficult moving to a new state, a new city, a new church and making friends. In the Appalachians, people can be wary of newcomers, especially those who come and then want to make everything like the place they left. That was not me, but this move was by faith. Roy told me I had to stick it out five years. Well, it didn't even take a year to know this is where we belonged because of friends like Theresa. 

Our church is the only one I visited during that month and we knew once I got up here we would move our letter to be a part of the oldest Baptist Church in Buncombe County. The first Sunday I visited, I remember hearing Theresa and her melodious voice. At that time the songs were contemporary, hymns and southern gospel. I also knew it wouldn't take me too long to join in with the choir. 

People here have loved and known Theresa so many years and I don't know nearly all or even half of the stories of mission trips, retreats, camp, choir, bus driving the senior adults...but she never met a stranger and she always greeted with abundant smiles. She could also look down, shake her head when one might say something one shouldn't but it wasn't too much too much longer she'd bust out smiling and laughing. Theresa once said to me, it's a good thing we aren't both sopranos, cause we would get in a world of trouble. Me not being a soprano has a lot more good things than that. That would be no range to even sing the lowest soprano note. Nope, it is the alto life for me. Many times after choir practice is when we got to visit. She told great stories and she had me all in when she'd begin, "well, one time....." We found out we had both been born in the Midwest and our conversation turned to shucking corn. I'd go with my cousins to farms in the area and earn 50 cents a bag picking and shucking corn. She had similar stories. One evening after choir Theresa and I were in the church lobby talking about this very thing when Debbie, choir director, walked past us. She turned and looked at us because she had mistaken shucking for another word that rhymes with it...we hurriedly let her know we were talking about working with corn.  A couple of years ago Roy saw some tambourine slip ons to wear over shoes and told me I needed to order two pairs. Why? Surely there is someone there with the same type sense of humor that would wear the other pair when y'all went to choir. Of course I first thought of Theresa, then Covid, so the tambourine shoes got put up for another time. 

Last Sunday in Sunday School, we didn't have a taught lesson, rather a sharathon of our friend Theresa. It could be 20 below and she would have on sandals or flip flops. I was told she didn't own a coat, said she didn't need one. Loved bling, lots of bling and her favorite color, orange. She is like no one else I have ever met and I am thankful to have met her on this side and look forward to seeing her. She'll probably say, girl, what took you so long! 

There has to be a thousand or more kiddos, teenagers and young adults touched by Theresa, her love of the Lord, her compassionate heart. I tear up while reading what others have written. So powerful, greater love, a new commandment love one another...she was all over that. There are a lot of tear stained eyes this week while we all prepare to honor a one of a kind friend. She was the heart and soul of our church. There weren't too many ministries she wasn't involved with. She loved Jesus and she loved his people. 

Our last conversation we had was a week before she passed away. We talked about clapping and she did her best to get everyone on the right beat that morning in church. She being a 2 and 4 girl, while I prefer the 1 and 3. A couple of Sundays ago when I once again joined in at big church, after my hibernation of January and half of February, she came out to find me after church. She said, it sure is good to see you back. Made me feel so welcomed and loved. 



I posted this picture yesterday of Theresa laughing so hard at the SPAM turkey Gertie and I made to have holidays on a budget. I told her she had won the door prize of this creation but she couldn't have the platter, we needed it.  Mash that SPAM together, put in a couple of chicken legs, complete with those little chicken leg hats. Stuff an apple and celery stalks in, you've got a meal. Theresa told me later she HATES SPAM, especially its lovely fragrance but she couldn't keep from laughing, as you can see here. 

Sunday morning while praying for our class prayer requests, I asked the Lord if he would tell Theresa hi for us and that we all miss her. 

I join the chorus of so many others expressing this, love you and miss you Theresa. We know you're singing in heaven and maybe if we get quiet one Sunday morning, we will hear your voice leading us in worship. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I just heard the news lastnight and I am heartbroken.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this heart-felt testimony of Theresa. She was one of a kind.

Anonymous said...

Well said, Nancy.She was so loved.