Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Authors and Books

 I just saw on FB a picture of 1967 cheerleaders at the junior high I attended. Back then junior high school was 7th, 8th and 9th grade so these cheerleaders would have been nineth graders when I was in seventh grade. What struck me about the picture was this, almost all the cheerleaders had long hair which had become the dominate look for the late 60's and into the 1970's. Just one cheerleader kept the teased bouffant or as we joked about the look back then the bouffant-y. Even then just kind of knowing fellow seventh graders, stories abounded about the one girl's look and that roaches had been seen coming our of her hair in home ec class. The roaches thing was an urban legend story told all over the country. Just one out of the eight cheerleaders. Seems like she kept the look all through high school as well, according to my addled memories from high school. 

My reading tastes have changed and what has felt like a desert of wanting to read has found an oasis at least one for the right now. Several times on FB the ad for Mildred Budge books would be in my timeline. A friend mentioned she had read some of the series and she has great taste in books as well as music. I ordered three of the books. Started the first one, good but it felt like the author hadn't found her dynamic, rhythm and timing. Upstairs I had one of her later books and it flows along and while being entertaining it also tells deep truths in the story without feeling like being preached to. Just some thoughts thrown out there, held together by strong characters, and some laughter. What I read last night hit me deeply. The reaction of a character named Belle is wonderful when called by a syrupy sweet member to see if she would like to come to the small group Bible study on Monday mornings, studying Leviticus and would she bake some cookies for the first meeting. She is asked all of this when the caller knows her situation with a husband who has dementia. Bella responds, no I am busy on Mondays, I don't want to study Leviticus and don't want to make cookies. A little time goes by and a deacon shows up at her house, just happens to be the husband of the lady who called. He interrupts her changing out cam lights in her ceiling. Mumbles something about he should help her but goes into the purpose of the visit. Wouldn't you know the husband with dementia is having a lucid day and carries on a conversation with the deacon, who just happens to be working toward becoming an elder before he is forty. The husband is now an elder emeritus and they have served in their church for years.  As a final insult to Belle, he brings up church attendance, she has missed five weeks in a row and then leaves her a card with the plan of salvation on it. Boom! It feels more spiritual to do those churchy le femme things but the spiritual thing would have been to help that lady change out the remaining light bulbs.   

With temps in the 60s, we worked in a flowerbed this afternoon getting things cleared. Roy also put more egg shells in his tomato beds. We also got The Garage on the Catmore Estate cleaned out a bit. Two of Camo's kittens have moved in with their cuzbros and The Feral Fam has taken them in. The third kitten of Camo was hit by car or got into something at the junky house down by the road. We found her a couple of weeks ago but hadn't written about it. We took care of her as she had already crossed the rainbow bridge. 

***********

Roy was home from deacon's meeting early last night. I like it when they have short meetings. The Boys sat with me as I read but when Roy entered the house all tranquility was abandoned. The chance of treats or supper hung in the air. GMoey is doing good with his expanded time wise meal plans. 

I read last night that one of my favorite authors had passed away January 30, 2024, Ellen Gilchrist. She made short stories into art form as well as a unique approach to novels and fiction. She had some of the best observations on tennis. Ellen Gilchrist was 88 years old. That only leaves Gail Godwin in my early trifecta of southern writers, the other being Ann Rivers Sidon. 

This morning Roy made the decision to put the other blockers under the refrigerator so that the never ending number of small pinecones can remain unhidden. The Boy hit those pinecones under the refrig and then sit there forever trying to extricate them. Roy had helpers this morning, Mr Mo and GMoey. Helpers is a relative term. 

I finished up the book I referenced earlier in this post. Laughs for sure, wisdom and lots of insights. I have started another one of the books which is short stories. Liking it as well. Very fast reading. I have also a couple of spy and WW II novels to read. Hopefully, I can latch onto something in those books that will keep me coming back. 

Had one of those nights where I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. I read a little more for the lesson on Sunday. I feel a little better about the direction the lesson will go. 

Roy is upstairs yelling at The Boys, calling them meatballs. He calls them meatball, overgrown sardine can or fruit loops. They must be wanting to help him on his computer. 

No comments: