Friday, March 22, 2024

Memories, Books, Hunks and Apps

 Monday mornings are usually the time I sit down to write but this morning I got involved with a card challenge. Some came easy and there were two that came with a great deal of difficulty, so off and on all morning until lunch I would busy myself with chores then come back to challenge. Finally before lunch, I solved it. The chore I chose was cleaning out a kitchen cabinet. So, time well used. We have been outside working on the flowerbeds and getting stuff together for the College Hunk haulers to pick up. There is a brisk breeze and the temps go below freezing this evening. Also a burn ban, not that we are planning on burning yard waste and such. 

Yesterday, I looked at FB memories and there was the famous March 17, 2012 post about the snake at our front door. I don't think the water moccasins have a welcome wagon for new neighbors, but he was sitting mighty pretty on the welcome mat. Roy took care of him and no other snakes ever visited us there. After all that happened with my father toward the end of March back then, it sure seems like it was a warning. 

Almost done with the Miss Budge book and this time it is cracking me up. The ladies are at a mission emphasis luncheon and one of the young missionaries asks Miss Budge if chicken spaghetti will be served. Nope, that is strictly a condolence dish cause it travels well in those aluminum throw away pans. No, for women's missions conference the dish is, chicken with prunes and olives. Ugh! That sounds disgusting but the conversation that takes place about the unjust inequities between men and women events at church is hilarious. For the same mission conference, the men are eating at a BBQ restaurant complete with banana pudding for dessert. The women have a fake meringue, artificial ingredient, damp crust piece of pie, sliced in lady sized portions. Then men have such freedom they can return to church with sauce on their shirts, while is some prune got on a blouse...oh for shame. Mildred and Gertrude had a retreat script for just such observations, the inequities and differences of retreats. Women, mostly are put four to a room, not men. Just two will share a room. Women do crafts, guys get to shoot guns or do crossbow target shooting. If a woman has a hearty appetite, well you'll starve at a retreat. Bring snacks, better yet and the profit would go to the Lord, sell them to the women who didn't plan ahead and find themselves faint due to hunger. I could go on but I think my favorite line in our retreat script was Gertrude telling us she was the last one in her room to be able to take a shower and clean up. By that time all that was left for her was one dry wash cloth. Then she pulls out the wash cloth for proof. Over the years M&G planned Sweetheart Church Banquets, using Abraham, Sarah and Hagar, Jacob with Leah and Rachel...you get the drift of this direction, don't get us started on Solomon...  We did a script for a church out in Magnolia, when Magnolia was just a bunch of pine trees. The lady told us there would be tons of young mothers there. Nope. We only did that young mother skit once, for all those older ladies, but it is a favorite memory of Peggy in the bathroom with leaves and tree limbs stuck in her hair and the fox tail showing from the waist of her pants and no one, not one lady said a thing to her. Like they saw this everyday. I was awaiting our cue and a lady sat by me and asked, now who are your people? She thought I was resident of the area.  

  ********

The College Hunks arrived yesterday afternoon to pick up the recliner on the front porch, old carpets and a trundle bed mattress and the frame. The frame they will take to ABCCM cause it is still good. The chair is as well, but Buddy had scratched a place on the back that opened up the fabric. Were they college hunks? One out of three but they were all so very nice and helpful. Two of the guys loved our front yard with the blooming trees and soon to open tulips. Truly their help was reasonable and like the slogan says, stress free. So while four years ago I was celebrating phase one of the flowerbed I worked on during those ***demic years, now became final phase of shutting down the experiment. We are going to let the grass grow in the bed to become part of the yard again. We will probably move a couple of snowball bushes to help the reclaim back to grass. 

This morning Roy is getting new shoes for the truck. We bought Cooper Tires probably in 2018 and they have lasted. We could really wait a couple of more months, but thought we should get this done now and not later when it is hot. The waiting room is outside. 

***********

I have decided that Isaac has middle patriarch syndrome...just like middle child behavior. Basically, he rusted away after dealing with some wells. There are particular habits of his that scream middle child but he is the bridge between Abraham and Jacob. I think Rebekah was a type A personality and had her hand in all things. I have most of my notes written for Sunday but I will take the rainy afternoon that is being forecasted to fine tune. Since my style of teaching is applicable, I want us to take home some different things to think and meditate upon, especially with Easter week coming. 

With the dip into the 20s, we weren't sure if the peach tree would be okay or not. Looks like the dip didn't hurt the blooms. We covered our new blackberry plants, much easier than you know a big tree. We got some more daffodils and yellow tulip plants last weekend. It is great to plant when the bulbs that have been previously planted start showing. You add the new plants among them for the next year. Mary Joyce would have been so happy with her daffodils this year. She planted a lot of white and yellow ones and they have popped out beautifully. When Mike was here mowing, he didn't have to mow Mary Joyce's yard. Don't know if Dave, her son in law, will be doing that or not. Haven't heard too much on what they are going to do or not do with her house. Our new neighbors across the way are outside a lot this week working in their, yard...although right now it is just empty space still with straw on the ground coaxing green grass out of the red clay. She has some shrubs in large containers either for easy access to move them with the next chance of frost or that's how they will stay. I kind of like that and during the winter while planning our gardens and flower gardens, I have come to this same idea. Only I think I am coming to it as ease rather than looks. 

My app on my iPhone tells me they predict a fall for me in the next year. I have not fallen since 2016 and I know pride comes before a fall, but this is more in the category of being up in my business. Of course what they don't know is my unsteady gate is related to my hip pain. We eliminated the chair, see above reference of recliner on the front porch, and I have been doing the hip flexor stretches. Those stretches have helped tremendously. I noticed that my right foot has been gearing toward the right while I walk...which tells me I am not walking in alignment. After being pigeon toed for most of my life, this is a different phenonium. I guess this all a part of the aging process. This week Monday, I felt horrible, Tuesday great, Wednesday okay, Thursday horrible and today great. 

No comments: