Saturday, June 16, 2018

Back At It

Hi, my name is Nancy and I used to be at posting on the ol' blog and thankfully my memory is not so far gone that I have forgotten how to do this. So many things are going on and have had my attention. When I thought to blog the tireds overtook and well...maybe a paragraph or two would be written and then abandoned.

My brother Doug arrived Wednesday. We met at The Blue Rooster for a late lunch and then hit Duckket's Produce stand. He also brought me my early birthday gift...rimmed bowls that go with our everyday dishes. So difficult to find since they don't make that pattern anymore. Made me so happy to see them and with the two we have, now have a set of eight. One of the things we were going to take care of while he was here was some paperwork but after looking through everything there wasn't really that much to take care of, so we played. Thursday we headed up to Grandfather Mountain. We ate lunch at The Italian Restaurant first...then headed up the mountain to the mile high bridge. It was a very windy day up there and it felt like the wind could lift you up off your feet and in the air, then down the side of the mountain. We didn't cross over the bridge but took pictures and met some nice people. We went to the animal habitats but we only saw the eagles...no other animals were out and about. Since the Linn Cove Viaduct had been reopened, we drove across it and back and it was just beautiful. Then over to Valle Crusis to the original Mast Store and Annex. The food truck guy was there and he has fabulous beef brisket, so we got a pound and a half. We remembered to bring a cooler. Mustang Sam makes a fun trip even funner! We were windblown and a little sunburned upon returning home, but the fragrances of honeysuckle and cut grass and oh cut hay filled the air and made us so happy. Yesterday, we eased into the morning and began our day in the late morning. Doug loves Sanctuary of Stuff, well I do too but I live here, and he finds all kinds of neat things for his daughters...early Christmas shopping. We took off to TN to eat at The Farmer's Daughter and shop at Mountain View. We also stopped at several produce stands and Doug has his meals planned for the next several days. We debated driving over to the Biltmore Estate but decided that we'd rather stick close to home. We ate my leftover pizza for supper and sat on the front porch and watched the cows move across the field and cars pass by. The lightning bugs gave us a spectacular show before we adjourned to the living room. This morning Doug left with a cooler full of goodies, a delicious lunch and memories of spending time with his sister. We are so blessed.

I have also joined a book club. Our first meeting was Tuesday night and it was a delightful time.

SequishShawn needs his windshield replaced so that appointment is set for Monday afternoon. The man I talked with, making sure what I had filled out on the form was correctly, on the phone was from Texas and somehow the conversation came around to Houston. He had grown up there and lived in nearby subdivisions to where I grew up...then we discovered we were both about the same age. It was a nice side conversation of places in Houston still around and those that are long gone.

This past week has seemed like so many friends are retiring and it still takes me by surprise because in my mind I think of us all so young and back in the day. The guy I dated off and on for six years retired last week from his work as a Methodist pastor. Sent congrats to him and his lovely wife who just retired from teaching. They are moving closer to their kids. A friend who has been a much beloved elementary school music teacher decided that this past school year was her last. She is so creative and the kids coming up won't know what they missed.

Keeping an eye on the sky as it looks overcast but radar shows no rain. Sure would be nice so that chore could be eliminated today. Feeding the Feral Fam in shifts today. Doing laundry and getting everything back in place. My reward for hard work, sliced peaches. Yum!


No comments: