Friday, June 22, 2018

It's Official! It's Summer!

The first day of summer begins overcast with a hint of coming precip in the air. Little droplets of damp pepper the skin. The forecast is rain and most probably around lunch time. It is good to know that by watering the plants and trees in the front flowerbed last night, I have helped bring rain to the area. If I really wanted a downpour I would have taken SequishShawn to the car wash but he is on a strict seventy hours of no high power car washing, letting the new windshield settle in. In the back of my mind I had a little road trip planned for today but another rough sleeping night, although not as rough as the night before, seemed to call for a day around the house. Like, there is not anything around here to do...said no one here. I've been studying the Sunday School lesson I'll teach on July 1st. I have read the chapter in several different translations and read a little bit of commentary...do you ever feel like everything you are trying to take in resides outside your head and it isn't getting through in a narrative that your brain can take in. That's how it has felt the past few days cause the big words and I love big words, needed to be simplified for a greater understanding of a truth I love so much. So I have been meditating on God's Word and asking Him to open the scriptures, just a treasured time of prayer. Last night and this morning, a eureka moment has taken place. Maybe today I can get an outline written.

This morning I wanted to see the verses of a hymn and since I have collected old hymnals and books of songs over the years, there isn't any monetary value in collecting them just a love of old songs and eternal truths of the  hymns. This isn't an editorial over church music at all. Like today's music in the church world. Since singing hymns in church began as a child for me, sometimes I am more inclined to sing hymns by rote and not really take in the meaning. Being a good Baptist I know most hymns but only the first and last verse...oh maybe on a few the second verse. So, back to this morning, I looked in the bookcase and found the good old Blue Baptist Hymnal of my childhood and early youth. Found the hymn and read all three verses...read the verses and sang the chorus.

Well nothing brings joy like a tambourine! So excited, the back ordered tambourine was delivered today. I like an open one cause I have one that has Jesus' face on it and well, when I hit it, it just doesn't seem right. Then while accompanying Sheila E, Glamorous Life, Lisa P sent me a song she has the solo and lead on...so I did what good friends do, I called and played her song along with my percussion. We are booking gigs right now.
********************
Well, there has been a lot of life happening and thus getting back to the computer to finish up this post has taken a back seat. I won't bore you with the mundane and no I haven't been playing the tambourine the whole time. The idea came to maybe hit some of my favorite roads and places but lack of sleep kept me closer to home. Like a quick trip to the store cause those Ferals be liking milk a whole lot.

This morning I awoke refreshed because of a decent night's sleep. My plan was to head out but a phone call changed that decision when Gale asked if I could teach for her this Sunday. Two days to prep? Good thing I had slept in a little bit to be here to answer the phone. So I began pulling out the different translations of the chapter we are in and got a good feel for what is there. Quarterlies are so much better now than back in the day...so I just finished typing out my notes and that means I am 3/4 of the way done. This afternoon I decided a Turkey Creek hamburger sounded good and then I drove around for a bit enjoying the wind and the sun. Dead Beat Dad, the big orange cat, has been hanging around and when he is here, the Feral Fam scrams. He eats their food and I have to become the crazy cat lady and chase him out of the yard with my Grandma B's famous woooohooo yell. Tonight when I thought it might rain but didn't, I went outside to water the new plants and saw Cali. She melts my heart, so she got a bowl of milk and I stood there a bit to make sure Dead Beat didn't chase her off. MJ and Cali were hanging around and got in on supper as well.

It is getting way past my bedtime and Buddy has been asleep which means when I come to bed, she will get up or maybe she won't and will just sleep through the night. That would be nice.

No comments: