Thursday, June 28, 2018

Road Trips, Real and Imaginary

At our book club meeting the other night we were asked this question, "what would we travel or road trip across country to experience? We are reading a book about a journalist turned food critic/writer making her way to NYC from San Francisco on the back roads to experience pie. We read about her initial journey with a friend, the interlude as she writes and works in NYC and now we are reading about her second jaunt to find out why people like pie, all the ways people make them and just the experience of meeting people through this story. Our answers were various and off the top of my head I responded produce stands...not farmers markets but stands along the side of the road and guess that would mean back roads cause produce stands unless owned by an orchard aren't usually found along the side of an interstate highway. They asked about my favorite produce stands in Asheville and I couldn't answer that because all the produce stands I love are away from Asheville and some in nearby states. If I could work it in while traveling back roads I would visit independent bookstores too. Now there is some time well spent.

With all our rain and storms this week some of my adventures have been sidelined and probably that's for the good because there are those last minute things that need to be taken care of around here. It has been good for SequishShawn to get some road time in because this is the season and the reason for a convertible and Mustang Sam makes those back roads rip roaring fun. The drive type can be set for normal, sport, track or comfortable. Right now the setting is sport which makes the switchbacks and winding roads a pleasure to drive. Added benefit the fragrances that fill the senses, thank you Jon Denver, except when those fragrances be skunk, sewer or bad smelling livestock.

During the night in the haze of sleep the sound of distant rumbling roused me from sleep. The sound of storms in the distance soon became storms in the here and now. A couple thunder boomers were a little too close for comfort. Those only make Buddy nervous and she leaves. Many times it needs to be pondered, should I follow her? Does she know something I don't know? Her mindset is probably every cat for themselves. I wondered about the Feral Fam in the storms and hoped their abode was staying dry. This morning with it still raining I wasn't really looking for them but a familiar sound got my attention while enjoying that first cup of coffee, it was Camo and Cali sitting on the back doormat, making noise to draw my attention. Feeding of the Feral Fam was a full house with mother and son keeping up a constant hissing and growling at one another. Cali came into the garage and sat while food prep took place...it makes me wonder if she feels more of an affinity with me than with her family. Probably not, just taking the chance for a few minutes of dry. She is the least afraid of me and the last one to vacate a bowl when I draw near. 

Once the rain stopped it was off to the dealership to get Mustang Sam's license plate. They put it on him and off we went to parts known and unknown to do a few errands and enjoy the cooler temps from all the rain. Most everything has been unloaded, just a few more things but maybe that can wait till tomorrow. Got the kitchen cleaned up and all the cats of the near and far world fed or treated. Had a long fun conversation with Lisa P and now waiting for Roy to get home after a retirement dinner for a co-worker...or is that former co-worker?

Tomorrow is supposed to be a drier day. Of course with the evaporation rate here by Sunday we will be looking at the sky and clouds trying to detect if any of the wet stuff will come our way. I find myself immensely  satisfied and happy. God is so good!

No comments: