Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Dear Cali

Earlier today I remembered Cali has been gone for a month and I know it is silly but it seemed a good thing to sit down and write her a letter...even though she couldn't read...and would probably tear up the paper as a toy...bear with me please



Dear Cali,
You've been gone from us for a month and I still wistfully look out the back windows hoping to see just a glimpse of you. I know I won't and it is comforting to know where you are. Your marker rocks are holding firm even in snow and rain but more than just being buried on your favorite spot, you are buried deep within my heart. Today at a store, there was the best ornament to honor you, "Best Cat Ever!" You know, you slip in a photograph. But, I decided against it cause again these are the things you ponder in your heart, not display on a Christmas tree...which we didn't put one up this year....

Cali, you would be so proud of your Riley. She is out there getting by everyday on her wits and courage. She's a lot like you, she is her own cat. Riley is attempting play with her cousins but it doesn't help when she wants to play but if they come nearby while eating, she hisses and chases them away. Riley is on the prowl for birds and she is a fine squirrel chaser. Riley comes when called and especially has a spring in her step when she hears the treat jar shaken. She's a late sleeper just like you. Cali, she has grown into those ears finally. She is symmetrical and is beautiful. There seems to be a lack of male attention cause all those cats you knew, Big Sissy Daddy and Dead Beat Dad aren't around anymore. Ok, you are not going to believe this but your mama came back to the deck after being gone since June the day after your passing. She's around every once in a while and she is still a cranky mess with her grandchildren and daughter but she gives me the closed eye look a lot, which as you know signals trust. You and Riley are the only two who have talked to me, meowing, all the others are kind of silent. Just stare. Riley is like you in that she comes close by and once even touched her nose to my fingers when I held them out to her. She's only done that once. Remember those mornings when you'd come into the garage while your meals were prepared? She'll do that too and lingers sometimes like she is debating on whether to chance a night in the garage. Wish she would overcome that trust issue but I know it is deeply ingrained in you cats. 

I shed a whole lot of tears at your passing yet I am thankful that the Lord allowed me to see you there on the side of the road and bring you home. You laid in repose on the deck and Riley came to you and then ran full speed to the front yard. For almost a week she sat by the fence waiting for you to play. Think she knows now, no playing. Just thinking about you can cause me to tear up cause you touched me deeply. You missed a year anniversary just by a few days and when the memories come up on FB it brings a smile and a tear when thinking back to those early days, there at the tent of meeting which became the tent of napping. Young Strawyer, your nephew the orange kitty, loves the tent of napping and uses it a lot. Just this afternoon he ate a bite and then headed over into the tent.

Oh, your two babies that the neighbor got, well they have grown into beautiful young cats and have been adopted into new homes that love them. They will have a good life, a better life than you experienced, but then that is what parents want for their children. Their absence about broke you though and I think you wouldn't have been wandering about so far away if you still had them with you. But, in the big picture, they are better off and Riley could be too. I almost got her twice but she is a fast thing. Makes me wish that day when you were a kitten sitting by the window that I would have been able to get you. You and Buddy. Buddy keeps interested in Riley and since Riley spends a lot of time sleeping on the chairs on the front deck, I think they have had some close encounters of through the screen kind.

I miss you a whole bunch! I miss the mornings with you waiting for me to come downstairs and once the backdoor opened, you ran to meet me cause you knew breakfast was on the way. I think Riley has your stomach problems, but I have been putting FloraFit on the food to help her. I miss you waiting for me when coming home in the afternoons. I'm trying my best to take care of Riley for you. Like I said before, you'd be proud of her.

Love,
The human that brought you food, gave you a tent and talked with you

PS Your memory still brings me joy!

No comments: