Saturday, December 8, 2018

Just Sitting Around Waiting For Snow

Having done all to prepare...preparations have been made. Simple food, snacks, sweet stuff, water, a few Diet Cokes and the like... Thermal underwear located, check.... So today I took the one bag of trash to the landfill because it is doubtful if all these weather predictions and forecasts prove true, there won't be garbage pick up or school or much of anything on Monday as we come out of the snow and ice. I put a two foot piece of thin wood in the backyard for measurement sake. We shall see.

Since doing the landfill trip, post office run and truck fill up, I could have stayed home and cleaned the house a little more but instead opted for an afternoon out and about. Ran a couple of fun errands and topped it off with a little trip to Marshall. The bridge going to Marshall needed to be totally replaced and that work was completed on December 1st. It has been a while since heading that way, so off I went. Found a few Christmas presents and got to talk with my friend who owns the store. She has the store windows decorated so festively and she is selling old fashioned candy during the holiday season. All of that kind of candy is nothing I am the least bit interested in, so it was easy to walk on by.

Yesterday in Fresh Market upon entering the store somehow my purse strap got hooked up with my open hoop earrings, it was quite the sight I am sure to have someone whose head is way over tilted to the left and she can't seem to right things by removing the strap from said earring. You think one sympathetic person would have stopped to help, no they laughed and went on about their business. Good thing this wasn't about fifteen years ago cause I would accidentally of course, ram the cart into the back of their heel. Finally, sweet release came when I was able to finagle the strap and earring. If it hadn't come undone, the whole earring was going to come out of my ear and I would start the whole process again. In other yesterday happenings the Kroger carries longhorn cheese. Publix used to but then they discontinued carrying it, Ingles never had it...so it is good to know Kroger in Johnson City has it in stock.
***********

This Sunday, if we have church, the lesson is on Joseph and Potifar's wife. These Genesis lessons have been good and it has caused me to think on many particulars to the story both leading up to this and then afterwards with the cup bearer and baker. While traveling about the past few days contemplating Joseph, his brothers, Potifar, his wife, and Jacob so many thoughts of the hows and whys has whelmed me not overwhelmed, just whelmed. One day, along the river road, a memory that I haven't thought of in forever came to mind. In his retirement my father had designed and then sold to school districts a broom that could clean out school buses efficiently and better than a regular broom. He also sold other products to help schools keep things clean. He had a great design and product but he couldn't make the switch to the digital age. He kept making cold calls and in person visits. Because of this I encouraged him to get someone to design a website for him and he could take orders that way and hit a market he wouldn't be able to travel to and make the call. No, this internet thing was a fluke according to him. He had been talking to me and then pressuring me to join him in his business. Y'all I knew better than to do that cause it would have never worked and it would be another opportunity to try and place another tentacle of control in our lives. He offered me a week that he and Mom would be gone to "run" the business...and all that I made would be mine. Mom told me in private to really think it over cause he had piled up work that he didn't like to do and it would take the whole week and thus no profit for me to take care of everything. My mom knew....so after a harassing from him for several weeks I lied and said I was going to church camp to be on staff. Yes, church camp was that week but I wasn't going that year. So this being in the age of answering machines, I screened all my calls. He did call several times and I think he knew I wasn't at camp because he was probably doing surveillance. But, it was so hard to keep the story straight for several years after that...because it was a lie. I wrote all of this now because for all those years Joseph's brother had to keep the lie and tell the story the same way time and time again. Were they on point so to speak if one of them slipped up and said something? Ten of them, what are the odds? The Bible doesn't tell us but surely it was never too far from their minds what they had done to Joseph. For me, I finally told my father years later I hadn't gone to camp but before he could jump in and claim victory that he knew that, I shared with him that although I would have made a great salesperson with product to push and sell and probably like him would have been very successful, I didn't like who I became in that profession. Always pushing, always trying to make things happen, always trying to convince and any down time would be spent trying to perfect the things I just mentioned. Been there, done that...didn't like it. And so many times, to sell, you had to lie and I didn't like to lie. And having lied not to become a part of his business, it was best that this subject not be brought up again, at least to me. I was ashamed at the depths I had come to. He was probably seething inside as most narcissists tend to do and most definitely plotted some revenge to be exacted at a later date. And probably that revenge was enacted but I just thought it was regular meanness and the like. Sadly, when it came time for him to give up his business, he had one person in mind that might buy him out but that person who wasn't looking to expand, turned down his offer, much to my father's surprise. Thus, the whole thing died. He probably didn't even have the broom design patented. The same thing happened when he developed the first liquid drain cleaner but fear and lack of trust kept him from patenting that and as they say the rest is history.

So far on this Saturday morning, no snow around here. Yahoo! Forecast is for it to arrive this evening. I could get out and about if I wanted...and it's tempting but I really don't have anyplace where I have to be. Think I will go out and rebuild the front cat protection structure. Riley seems to be the only one around now consistently, well at least since Wednesday. Wish she would just go to the tent but she probably thinks Camo still has domain.

No comments: