Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Merry Christmas And Unexpected Blessings

Merry Christmas from the mountains of Western North Carolina! When we got up this morning it was a balmy 27 degrees. Frost on the ground and rooftops, but no snow. We stayed up past our bedtimes and watched White Christmas. This time last year I had seen it, oh probably, about five or six times. Roy had never watched it and while he prefers a Hallmark Christmas movie, he did enjoy the story line. I looked up the trivia for the movie and we had fun watching for a few missteps and the pure laughter of Bing and Danny when they sang the "Sisters" song. Yes, we are so easily entertained.

Christmas Eve Day was rather laid back and it is looking like we will have that same mindset for today. Around 4:45, yesterday, the bell ringers did several run throughs of Away in the Manger. We were joined by the ushers as they prepared the candles and the juice box communion elements...the ones where you have to find the dividing point of the wafer and grape juice. Let's just say if Roy hadn't been here to successfully open mine, I'd still be at church trying to take the Lord's Supper. Roy was happily taking pictures and videos as we rehearsed. With just four notes for me to play, mostly on words, I felt better about this song than Sunday morning's. That being said, everyone else had the huge responsibility to carry the tune, add the musical embellishments and the like...it was a harder song for everyone else. While I won't miss bell rehearsal, then home for two hours and then going back to church for choir practice, I'll miss the time we spent together learning but mainly cause you know it has to be fun, laughing. This year, the Christmas lesson is getting out of your comfort zone and although some think being out of a comfort zone should be mountain climbing or bungy jumping or zip lines or kayaking down the rushing river, this was just as challenging as any of these I have listed. Well, at least for me cause there was a day that all that outdoor adventure stuff was a piece of cake to do.

After the service last night as the candles and holders were gathered to be put away for another year and as the bell tables were taken down and returned to the closet, I watched and took in the various scenes taking place around the sanctuary. Family pictures in front of the Christmas trees, friends gathered in groups laughing and visiting...just a general feeling of peace on earth, goodwill to men. Kind of like Mary, only in the pondering and taking these things to heart, I sat there so happy to be a part of this church and this community. Just as simply as possible, we gathered to worship our Savior who came as a baby to save us all from sin and death and all that comes with that. It has been especially poignant to be so grateful for our friends, both here and there. Life long friends to newly made friendships, so thankful for you all.

We are experiencing unexpected blessings yesterday and today. Especially when it has to do with these little feral cats that have become a part of our lives for over a year. Riley came into the garage yesterday morning, unknown to me, and she hasn't shown any desire to leave. We are going to have to figure this out by Thursday morning though. So yesterday she came close and smelled my hand and my toes...she meowed to me and her purring was on high gear. Have her all fixed up with a litter box, food and blankets if she will use them. The garage isn't exactly the warmest place but it has to be much better than where she has been sleeping. When Cali died, that left Riley on her own. Camo and her kittens don't have anything to do with her, so Riley is fending for herself. As I fed her and gave her treats I hoped she would see that she is better off and so I guess this is her first step in realizing this. Of course we are talking about feral cats, so who knows? Today, our experience totally blew me away. When Cali was a kitten, I tried playing with her and MJ. They were somewhat interested in the little kid fishing pole but they never quite trusted me with the toy. So today, Riley and I began playing with it. She loved chasing the fish. Several times today, about forty five minutes at a time, we played. She was purring and having such fun with it. Later I moved from the backdoor more toward the other end of the garage and she was even more attentive. What happened later totally shocked me, but she came up to me and began rubbing against me and putting both paws around my leg. Okay, I was trying to hold it together...but maybe a few tears were shed. I went out there to check on her a little bit ago and she is doing fine. There is so much research on feral cats and the whys and hows but most of the advice is this, patience, patience, patience!

Meanwhile on the outside it is a hit and miss situation with Camo and Crew. They come and go, days at a time. Just when you think there is some kind of normal with them, they all disappear. Mama Cat came by kind of late for her and she missed out on any food cause those kittens eat. I even felt sorry for Camo, which doesn't happen too often.

Brenda came over this evening bearing gifts. Now, she is a great gift giver! And she is also a lot of fun to shop for. Roy could only laugh at all the sheep related gifts tonight. Buddy loves the wrapping paper and has kept herself amused with it. Gift giving is such an art and lots of love and thought usually goes into it. There are some people I wish I could ask for us not to exchange gifts cause it feels like anything chosen for them goes into the black hole...never to be seen again.

The fine folks at Publix helped us with our Christmas lunch. I was thinking we might do tacos but in the end, traditional food won out. We did a late lunch cause Roy had made biscuits for breakfast. He made eggnog biscuits and we had elderberry jam. Delicious!

Today, with a slower pace, it was a good day to take in all we have heard this year in church leading up to this day. After the holidays life in January begins to slow...more into a quiet season. I don't think Roy can do many days like today but for me they are treasured.















No comments: