Saturday, August 3, 2019

Fruits, Veggies and Isolated Incidents

August 1st, opening day for Barbers Orchard. On the first day I am not going for the apples, it is more for the produce and honestly, the baked goods. Inez and I decided we needed to go to opening day, so we met at church and headed over Barbers way. Lots of cars but it wasn't too crowded. The line for the bakery wasn't too bad and once the woman with a large order got it all paid for, the line moved quickly. Taking care of the most important purchase of apple cider donuts, we were able to peruse the fruit and veggies. We got that done and decided lunch would be at Haywood Smokehouse. It was delicious as usual. Before heading home we decided we should make a quick stop at Duckett's in Clyde. We got lemon melons and right now mine is cooling off in the refrigerator. I took our bakery purchases to the truck and I felt the breeze with a hint of fall in the fragrance and temperature. Some of the first trees that show the change of color, well the top leaves are beginning that precursor to autumnal pigmentation.

The late afternoon held some rain but mostly lightening and thunder. The temps cooled down and made for a pleasant late afternoon on the back porch. Buddy was interested in the little family of three but soon the urgent need of a nap overtook the curiosity. I need to move one of the little chairs for flowers alongside the one that is already outside near the porch cause all that little family loves the chair. The zinnias that occupied the chair have seen better days especially since they've been smashed down even with the soil.
***************
The wonderful, good beginnings of Solomon is on my mind this morning. In a few minutes I will begin writing out the lesson for Sunday. In the past few days several words and phrases have stood out and so I have studied with those words leading the way. Buddy has decided she wants to contribute to the blog this morning, like most mornings when I sit down to write. The call of the window has overtaken her desire to contribute. Think she made the best decision.
************
No, the call of the window did not get to me like Buddy but the call of writing out the lesson for Sunday and a few errands took precedence. Also, the supper invitation from Brenda was too good to resist, so the blog post kind of fell by the wayside.

It was shocking to read of the untimely death of a young woman's husband this week. She worked in the ED Suite, as it was known back in the day. She might have been an assistant to me for just a little bit of time before becoming the full time admin for Married Young Adults. I don't remember. She was falling in love while she worked at First Baptist and married this fine young man. He died of a cancer I had never heard of. Then this morning I read about the owner of The Pink House passing away this past week of breast cancer. She had been fighting the fight for a long time. Sadly, The Pink House is going through the closing process. Over the years we had found several pieces of furniture and all kinds of interesting things at her local shop.

Brenda served a delicious country supper filled with veggies and her homemade rolls. Yum! We visited for a bit after supper. Roy had called but I hadn't heard the ring cause I don't have good coverage at her house. He had spent the afternoon out in the yard with the sprinkler guys. Two of the seven zones of our sprinkler system had never worked correctly because they had been wired wrong. The lines were not color coded nor labeled. In the midst of the work they must have cut the cable in the yard. Roy thought it was the modem and took it in to Comcast but it wasn't that. The sprinkler guys are coming back this afternoon to finish up the work. Roy is at a seminar and will head home quickly after it is over.

I have been out in the yard cutting up weeds and pulling up flowers that have done bloomed. It is a dried up mess to deal with. The trees that needed extra watering got attention this morning as well. It is looking like it might not rain this afternoon but if it does, it's because I watered trees and a few plants.

Last night just as I was falling asleep I had the first major afib moment in over a year. I have gotten so used to being in rhythm. There were a couple of things on my mind but nothing too troubling and although the last couple weeks have held some added stress, it didn't seem like anything that would knock me into the world of irregular beat. It could be that I had caffeine after 2:00 yesterday. But today, I can feel the fatigue from my heart working overtime when it didn't need to. My prayer is that this is an isolated incident.


No comments: