Monday, August 5, 2019

Happy Birthday Buddy!



This is the first picture of Buddy that was on an email to the staff at Houston's First Baptist from Lisa Lewis. Her cat had kittens and she was looking for a home this little gray kitten, who at the time was thought to be male. I fell in love with this face and called Roy to tell him about a picture of a kitten that had stolen my heart. Long story short, Buddy came to live with us. She was born on August 4, 2005. Does that make her a millennial cat? 

Buddy is fifteen years old and in cat years that means she is nearly 80. She is somewhere in her late 70's but I am too lazy to do the specific math. She is definitely slowing down and has dementia moments especially at night. Nothing like that mournful cry at 2:00 in the morning. She is even more than before a whiny meower. If she was human she would have already had a hip replacement but there are days she moves and jumps like a ten year old cat. Buddy has always had a bit of a temper but things that used to make her take a swipe at me, well, they don't seem to bother her anymore and she knows I think, that I am trying to help make her comfortable.
This is one of my favorite pictures of Buddy that Peggy took. She caught that iridescent shine of her gray fur and that little smile. 

My life changed for the better when this little gray kitten came in my life. I don't know, it was like the Lord added her to help me and this little cat has helped me process and think through so many things. When I was so ill she hardly left my side, sleeping next to me all day and following me to the bathroom or kitchen. She is also the little sneaker that has hiding places and doesn't reveal them easily. Many a time I have called this cat and she remains stealth and silent as I desperately search for her.  

Image may contain: cat
Buddy doesn't like change....of hardly anything but she survived two major moves and she has flown more than me in the past five years. She loves her some time on the porches, front porch in the morning and back porch from the late afternoon on into the evening. She'll work you for a treat, it is a constant that is for sure. In the midst of not liking change, she herself has changed her routine. Her favorite napping places remain unused. After nearly 15 years of sleeping on our bed with us for 95% of the night, she now sleeps elsewhere. It took some getting used to on my part but the quality of sleep has improved for both of us.

So, Happy Belated Birthday Buddy! I started the post on Saturday but I was enjoying my birthday festivities and was too tired last night to finish this up.




No comments: