Monday, September 23, 2019

Fall From A Distance


Image may contain: outdoor and text


It is the first day of fall and this morning we certainly are experiencing autumnal temps but the morning cannot fool us because today is going to be a day that ends up feeling like summer. But out here blogging on the back porch with a cup of JFG coffee, Buddy on the daybed, and the ferals fed this morning, I can pretend it will be fallish all day.

Speaking of the ferals, they gave me a little scare yesterday morning. I decided I would feed them right before leaving for church. That helps keep them off the driveway while leaving. When I opened the backdoor, they were no where to be found. Whistled the special whistle that announces food several times and no shows. Punky has been the first to the door in the past week because she has had her kittens under the house. I left without leaving any food and hoped nothing had gotten the little family of three during the night. The thought occurred that possibly Punky had moved her kittens. When I returned from church a disgruntled family of three greeted me, no breakfast, no brunch...where was the food? Came into the garage and fixed up three bowls of grub. This made the cats happier but they still carried about that miffed feeling while eating. This morning we were all on time for breakfast and I think while sitting here and watching Punky take a serendipitous route to the gravel road, only to be exposed by the boys just taking the direct route, that she has moved the kittens up there. Hope it turns out okay cause nothing good has ever happened on that gravel road for her ancestors. 

The lesson yesterday in Sunday School wasn't quite the lesson that Lifeway had prepared but that should not come as a surprise. We have this one Sunday to look at the life of Elisha and 2 Kings 6 didn't seem to do justice of the life and miracles of Elisha. He was prepared to be used on the big stage by God but he was equally as comfortable in the everyday, being used by God in so many ways benefiting cities, schools and individuals. We looked at the everyday miracles which seems to be an oxymoron but it isn't. Elisha is mentioned in the NT once and Elijah has 29 mentions. This past week studying Elisha was not only interesting but eye opening to being used by the Lord, today in the here and now. I used Marge Caldwell as an example, being so involved with so many people, mentoring many, specifically Beth Moore, touching people of all ages with her books and talks and in person. Counselor for sure but as each person stood at the podium to eulogize Marge, each speaker began with this sentence, "I was Marge Caldwell's best friend." She made you feel that way. This week we are looking into the life of Jonah. I began studying yesterday evening in earnest because of plans later in the week.
Image may contain: 11 people, including Rena Blackwood Verner, Judy Whitlock, Janice Gasperson, Ann Dellinger, Troy Beloved, Nancy Doss Monarch and Inez Dockery, people smiling, people standing

Last Thursday a group of us from church went to Knoxville for two hour tour, a two hour tour...no the weather didn't start getting rough and I don't think we were ever lost but we did have a bunch of fun. Lunch and sightseeing on the TN river. This is one of the few times while going to Knoxville I haven't been driving. It's a beautiful drive. We had a delicious lunch and then we were free to roam about. I roamed about taking pictures cause there were many bridges over the river and I loves me some bridge pictures. I took way too many but that's ok, they will just get deleted in time. Thursday night I went to bed at 8:00 pm. Guess so much excitement, bus riding and river boating just wore me out.

Last night we had choir practice after a three week hiatus. I enjoyed having Sunday nights at home but was ready to get back to work and worship. Our pastor did a Q and A for Sunday night church last night and since I had everything done that needed to be done, I went for that. Very interesting and his approach is so well thought out.

Last week as rain pummeled parts of Houston, Roy and several co-workers were in Ruston La on a recruiting trip for their company. They prepared if they would have to delay their return trip and they did stay an extra night due to the rain and not being able to get into Houston because of flooded roads. They got home safe and sound but this morning Roy said the tales that are being told from co-workers who were not able to get home for hours or ended up getting a hotel room and spending the night downtown are fascinating. Think he was happy to spend the extra night instead of dealing with all that. He discovered Coke, root beer and Dr Pepper floats are at almost every restaurant in town...not all flavors together, though. Cheapest dessert on the menu and he was a happy camper.

Well, I was getting ready to close this post out when Punky came back to the yard. She ate a little more then moved to where a flat rock in the yard is covered by shrubs and butterfly bushes. I had thought maybe this is where she had moved her kittens but then saw her go down the gravel road. The kittens are on that flat rock. Heard little meows and see some movement. I think and I can't see them well, but it does look like there might be an orange and white kitten and maybe a calico. I can't show too much interest because she will move them farther from the yard. So for now, from a distance.....

No comments: