Tuesday, September 17, 2019

While Cats Nap, Hummingbirds Buzz and I Work

We are anxiously awaiting the cool front coming through tomorrow bringing temps where they normally would be for fall. The little cool front is just a hint of cooler weather to come but it is looking like it will be warm again over the weekend. We got a little bit of rain last week but it looks like I'll need to get out and do a little watering. Buddy and I are on the back porch this morning. It is still in the 60's and the back is still shaded from the sun. The sound of repairs accompanies the birds. Our neighbor, one house away had a tree do some damage to all three floors of their home during a storm in July. Just this week the construction has begun in earnest.

Punky is much skinnier which means she probably had her kittens Sunday night. She came to breakfast yesterday not as big and today, she is back to her trim youthful figure. She and Mr McBeavy played and wrestled last night and she hasn't been doing that too much in the past few weeks. I think the kittens are under the house, not the deck. The Mr is beginning to hang out more with Strawyer and he spends time up on the gravel road which really isn't a good idea. The do stay around here the majority of the time and aren't so prone to wander...do you feel it...from the food and shelter they love. I hope they really like the cat house and the covering I ordered. The covering should be delivered this week.

Last Sunday we studied Elijah and Elisha. This week is the only week we look at Elisha and his ministry in just one situation. So, I am researching and looking at all his miracles that happened through God's anointing and power. So we will have a more well rounded look at him.

There is a magazine from the Netherlands that I love and can find if one is fortunate at Barnes and Noble. I have considered a subscription and did that one time but it sounds as if the delivery is problematic. The theme of so many of the articles is on mindfulness and being present in the moment. From the sound of the reviews, customer service is pitiful. No one answers the phone, no responses to email and so the ever looming bad review is posted for all to see on the web. Seems to be somewhat ironic.

On Saturday I made my way over to the Candy Corn Market at the Haywood County Fairgrounds. Doug and I went to the spring market and found some fabulous things. Since I am not one that likes traffic or difficulty in parking, I decided if I went, I would get there around 1:00. The market closes at 3:00. Yes, there was still good stuff available for purchase. There is another one of these in November and I think I will go back to the lady who makes shower bombs. Oh my goodness! A great price and the best I have used so far. I found a Christmas sheep, chenille dog for the other twin bed, dried hydrangeas, and the cutest alpaca socks. It was supposed to be a cooler type day but it was downright hot, so my time is always limited if the possibility of getting hot presents itself.

One of my favorite authors passed away last week, Ann Rivers Siddons. Years ago, when I discovered her books, that was a very happy time of reading. When Ann, cause I know she would want me to call her by her first name, came to Houston at the Ritz Carlton for a book tour that included high tea, my friend Linwood and I were there. Such a delightful time and she took Q and A before signing her latest book. I did get brave enough to ask a question about one of her earlier books and the question so obscure, she didn't remember what she had written and kind of brushed off the question but we were richly rewarded in the book line. Linwood, who had lived in the same apartments after college, she of University that is in Tuscalooser and Ann, of Auburn in Atlanta. Many of the characters of her stories are based on those she met while living at  these popular apartments with the hipsters of that generation. Linwood wasn't a hipster but she did like to be where the action is. So, she and Ann had this great conversation about people they knew from the apartments and that their time had overlapped and what a shame, they didn't meet. Linwood also knew Ellen Gilchrist's mother in Jackson MS. Another favorite author. Linwood's mom played bridge with her on a weekly basis. She got several books signed for me when she went home to visit. The infamous Linwood also went with me to a cancer fund raiser and the speaker was Winston Groom of Forest Gump fame. I have one of the few first editions of Forest Gump and I brought it along for him to sign when he signed his newest book. Linwood brought her University of Alabama yearbook, they graduated the same year and had him sign it. She made the news. Linwood is the most southern woman I have ever met...and I mean it in both the nicest ways and in the "well, bless your heart" way cause southern ladies can be some of the meanest ever but in the most mannered way.

Well, the cats have all settled in for the mid morning nap, that includes Buddy, but Strawyer has been awakened to chase something. As for me, even though I have been up since 4:00 am with Buddy, there are things to do and maybe a few places to go.

No comments: