Wednesday, September 25, 2019

At What Cost? Not Believed Cause I Wasn't Sporting Texas Big Hair

It seemed eerily familiar although it wasn't anything I have experienced in a while. In the midst of the moment it didn't come to me what exactly was happening...but in hindsight I had encountered a "gang" at the Biltmore Estate. No, not a gang like we think about today where young men and women can wreck havoc in society....no this was a band, an association, a syndicate....no the word would be maybe a sorority of women....Texas women who took over the gift shop with their chaos, entitlement and general disarray that can happen when friends shop competitively and sadly without a whole lot of laughter. Maybe I should start at the beginning.....

Such a lovely day. Breakfast at Corner Kitchen, a little shopping and then a hair appointment at Wink for highlights and color. It was such a beautiful day I concluded that although a Target run needed to be made, it was just the perfect day for a drive through the Biltmore Estate. Note to pass holders, we only have a month or so to be able to drive past the house and through the wall garden...but that is another topic entirely. After browsing in the Screen Door, I headed toward the estate. Lovely as always, stopped in the garden center and then went to the Inn. Feeling a little hungry it seemed a great idea to eat in the Library. Because of good memories of lunch with either Lisa or Dena, I ordered the truffle fries...then added a cup of French onion soup and a cobb salad. I decided to bring the salad home and concentrate on the fun food. There was a group of women at a table seating 6-8 and I think I heard they were from Dallas which reminded me of a group from the long ago that were so rude at breakfast. It is that time of year when the shop there at the Inn should be having a sale and I wasn't disappointed but I did come into a chaotic group of three women who seemed to have the store staked out so that it was difficult to shop. That's okay cause I went to the sale rack first while they messed around with jewelry and scarfs. There was a pecking order to the group and the size 2, older blond lady seemed to be the leader. Her second in command was not as stylish but yet stylish enough...no linen or sleeveless blouse like the leader. The third lady was tall, maybe taller than me and oh what a faux paux to be dressed in a stylish track suit but clearly she could not be taken seriously because she probably wore a size 12 or 14. The other noticed item was, she hadn't been the first choice to accompany first and second command. She bought her things and told them she was moving on. The two seemed quite pleased with this news and it was as if they had willed it to happen. They went back to their selections....and wishing for the friend they wish was really there but for some reason didn't make the trip. They decided to buy her a gift but the dilemma of what amount to spend. It seems that they wanted to get something she would love but not spend a lot. How disingenuous from their declarations of wishing she was here, she's fun...to that third woman. Meanwhile I'm shopping, speaking with the woman working in the shop and had decided to do another look through when the two decided they were ready to check out, complete with the 25% off one item that hotel guests get. The second lady was ready to check out and motioned to me to go ahead because I was close to the counter. No, she was clearly on a shopping roll, she could go ahead. Somehow, it came up...Texas. I don't remember how. They were both from Houston, only the leader has had to move to another city in the state. Now, it could have been with my haircut and highlights I wasn't blond enough or hair poofed up enough to believe I was from Texas...stylists here just don't understand that Texas hair thing. They asked where I lived in Texas, told them. They added they were from Houston, more specifically West U. West U is a snazzy part of town along with Memorial, Tanglewood and River Oaks. Then I said, well, when my parents first moved to Houston we lived in West U but with the call of the suburbs being so popular we moved to the suburbs. Annoyance quickly crossed their faces and then they asked well, where did you live in West U? Charlotte Street...must be a good street now cause the original house was torn down years ago to be replaced with a McMansion. Their countenance lightened as the secret test had been administered and passed by me. They hoped my parents hadn't been duped like so many they knew from back in the day, moving to Sharpstown...no...we moved to Westbury. Where did I go to high school....Westbury. Did I know________? Uh, what year did she graduate? 67. Ha, I said well, I graduated in 72, so I got the I am younger than you punch in. They tested my knowledge of Houston, well known places...passed. I added kiddie land and peppermint park, cause I doubt they went there as the two were older...so they got a jab in, South Main Drive In. No, I was riding ponies not making out. They leaned in, why would you want to move here? Why rural? Why not a gated community? I should have said, cause people like you live in gated communities...haha! I told them we had been tourists for twelve years and loved it here. With my health, it was best for me to be able to live where my health thrives thus I thrive. There are four seasons to life and we have made such wonderful friends here, who wouldn't love it? The pace of life is desirable, food delicious and within an hour drive to see some of most beautiful sights around. They left....the shop and both the sales lady and I were glad.

For a brief moment I defaulted to that kind of conversation of testing and figuring. It is the kind of conversation that can happen, for me mainly happened in tennis, but sometimes it can happen in church world, where conversation is for measuring worth but not value. It saddened me that I can still converse like that so easily. Yes, I am delusional thinking that my road anger had been banished by the Lord only to find it resurfaced the last time I was driving the freeways of Houston. Many times I lament the ability to think on my feet. If I had been thinking about it while talking to the ladies I could have thrown a few names that would have made their knees buckle, but they probably wouldn't have believed me anyway....you know cause yesterday, I wasn't presenting with Texas big hair, I was wearing dressy camo and for goodness sake, I was wearing comfortable shoes....albeit, cute comfortable shoes. Yes, it is finer to be in Carolina in the morning, afternoon, evening or night. Finer to be in Carolina in any of the seasons, but most especially produce stand season...

*****disclaimer, not all Texans are like these women, Got lots of Texas friends to prove that.*************

No comments: