Thursday, September 24, 2020

Getting Back To Autumn

 To celebrate the beginning of fall this morning, I broke out the Golden Carmel Community Coffee Roy sent me. It is one of my favorites and is hitting the spot on this cool fall morning. Yes, we are in the autumnal season which is wonderful yet it marks the beginning of the end of produce stand season. It has been a good season of strawberries, peaches, berries and now apples. 

Yesterday my mind, heart and prayers were for Houston family and friends. Tropical Storm Beta came a calling and hung around too long, taking its time to leave the area. Lots of rain to be watched as people went to their jobs. Roy left downtown around noon taking several co-workers with him and dropped them off at the Park and Rides at their cars. He said they caught a small break in the rain and made it home okay. My concern was high water from all the rain that had accumulated. It doesn't take much to flood in some areas. The water feature by our home was up but did not come out of its banks. 

With a beautiful day, I did more work in the flowerbed pulling up plants that had bloomed all summer and were now dry branches of their former selves. I also returned to the chore of moving large border rocks from near the porch and rolling them down the hill to the flowerbed. Need to buffer up a zone toward the bottom of the bed where mulch escapes when we have hard rains. A work in progress.

Last night I finished up The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek. I started it at the beginning of the social distancing but had to put it down. It was a hard start with violence and thereafter a lurking violent presence in the next couple of chapters. I picked it back up on Sunday and so glad I did. Based on the women in the 1930s who delivered library books to people in the hills of eastern Kentucky. Although my father's side of the family is more from central to western Kentucky, a story set in the blue grass state draws me in. Now I am searching my TBR pile for the next book to read. So far in the past few weeks the locations of the books have been North Carolina, South Carolina and Kentucky. Keeping it Appalachian, well kind of. 

What an adventure getting to the grocery store today. Roy called and I helped him with something, got out to the car and had to distract Punky and Hector Protector with treats so I wouldn't run over them. I drove down our road and once I turned I noticed our mailbox was half open and an envelope in it. Mailbox thefts have gotten so bad, so I turned around and came home to get the envelope. Got back into the car when this huge German shepherd ran in front of me. He gets loose from time to time and I worried about those kittens in the backyard. I had left the gate open to the yard so, I went around the block...not like a city block but you get the picture, anyway, I came back and shut the gate. Only thing, the fence people did not do a good job with the gate and it came off the hinge on the bottom of it. I need to remind them to come back and fix that. I left again and hoped I would not return back to any injured or dead kittens. It took me thirty minutes to get on the road officially. While at the grocery store I bought a chuck steak. I don't know if I ever have before, chuck roast, yes. Anyway, it went into the crock pot with some one pot beef broth, Mrs Dash Pot Roast seasoning, onions, carrots and this steak. I looked it up it is a marinating kind of thing and since a roast is too big for me and even when I freeze leftovers, I don't ever really want it preferring making fresh. So this might be the answer. Sure smells good downstairs. 

Just finished with CBS core group Bible study. It is sad, but one of our members passed away last Friday from heart issues. She had been a core group leader but this year just wanted to be in a group. We sure missed her today but while we were studying John the Baptist, she has probably already met him and visited with him. 

With our cooler temps Buddy has been spending more time with me at night. I've kind of missed her but I do get better sleep when she is elsewhere. I just saw Strawyer and he is not looking good. His hind end is giving him problems especially on the left side. He usually will sniff my hand but when I put it near him, he hisses. He has never hissed at me. It seems he is spending most of his time underneath the front porch and Punky sits with him from time to time. Even he and Mama Cat have ceased fighting with one another and they rub their heads together. 

We shall soon see some Beta rain but not like Houston did and after that we get back to autumn.


No comments: