Friday, September 11, 2020

Waste or Waist?

 Back in the day, growing up with neighborhood kids, most of us had set boundaries as far as we could go on our bikes. Mine were a bit restrictive to the block in front of our block and the one behind us. Every once in a while permission was given to ride one more block over because a friend lived on it. She and I would ride our bikes around and around and around the neighborhood. Whenever we came up to the curve on her street, which was Kit Street once you were on the curve, all curves had different names in our subdivision, she would announce her friend that lived smack dab on the middle of that curve. She would say, Go Go with the red door lives here. Never met Go Go, but I remember the house, Chinese modern, and only a few homes with that style were anywhere around. Yes, it had bright red double doors. When our gate was installed last week, the young man in charge of installation told us he got the red gate to go with our red roof. The long ago memory of Go Go with the red door came to mind. Now it could be said that Foo Foo with a red gate lives here. When my nieces were kids, they called me Aunt Foo Foo. 

Think we overdosed on apple cider donuts and now it's go time again to an orchard. Probably will wait until next week cause orchards on the weekend are traffic and people intensive. 

Three painters came out and gave us bids. Roy picked the first guy not only based on price but also his determination to get here for the appointment. Looks like he will be able to start in a couple of weeks. We are thinking of just continuing the same color theme from the back porch to the front. That way we won't be too confused with color but we are opting for a lighter type stain for the fence. We need to pick that color and will probably do so over the weekend. 

I finished up my CBS homework last night. We are studying the book of John and I had forgotten how much I like the style of homework CBS uses. There was only one study I didn't particularly care for and that was I and II Peter. It felt like they didn't have enough material and stretched it out a little too long. We Zoomed for the first time last Wednesday. It was the meet and greet thing, with guidelines and instructions. 

**********

Bible study was so good yesterday. The discussion of our questions led by our fearless leader Sonya was deep and rich. Thought provoking. Seeing through this introduction lesson of how John grew from fisherman to beloved, one lady said John is thought to have been the youngest disciple and how he grew up under Jesus' influence is so hopeful. Yes! Even an old lady can continue to grow up with Jesus' influence. We read such familiar scriptures and I am reminded that those familiar scriptures sometimes are so familiar, we breeze through them. When Jesus said I am the resurrection and the life...His statement the resurrection hit me anew while doing the homework. The life is understandable but the resurrection? Not just he was resurrected, not like Lazarus, but because He IS the resurrection, He could resurrect Lazarus. I love that the Word of God is active and alive. I am pondering these things in my heart and on my blog. Roy is also doing CBS this year and his first meeting was Tuesday night. We are two weeks ahead of his class but I assured him if he wanted to discuss my homework answers, he would be better prepared when his class came to them. He didn't buy it. 

Most of yesterday morning was spent outside working in the yard and flowerbeds. Pulled some weeds, saved some sunflower seeds and began the general summer into fall cleanup. Got a lot accomplished and put off the remaining chores until the cool of the evening. Only, it started raining in the cool of the evening, so it was an easy decision to postpone the work. It seems to be a full time job pulling those ever growing and reaching vines out of trees, shrubs and plants. Unbelievable. They wind themselves right onto the stem or limb...killing the host plant. 

On Sunday, Pastor Bradley encouraged us not to let this time of social distancing due to Covid be wasted. He mentioned several things like, more time at home, not so busy schedules etc to use this time to draw closer to the Lord. He encouraged families to have devotions together, even seemingly feeling weird at the beginning of starting a good habit. He talked to individuals to stay in the Word, stay close to God. We can hear a million internet pastors tell us that, but it is so personal and meaningful when your own pastor encourages your growth...not with tweetable platitudes but with a real heartfelt admonition. When all this Covid emphasis began in March, I knew that I would have to pace myself because if I started out doing all things...I would be left with no things, thus promoting a listlessness in my spirit. Thus, my Bible reading mainly stayed in the Psalms because knowing He is with me every step of the way, that we would come out to the land of the living, that we have peace in uncertain times and of course The Lord is My Shepherd. My days were mainly spent working in the flowerbeds, planning out summer plants and building raised beds, all the while seeing the Lord's hand in the everydayness of this new normal life. I didn't hit my TBR stack enthusiastically because I knew it would hold more meaning if I waited till time opened up for reading. Really, I am doing less reading than usual but the books have had more substance. In June I decided that a challenge out of my comfort zone might be good. So, I wrote down several things that I would like to learn. A few of those things; learn how to draw a sunflower, to use materials here around the house to create something, anything with...cause this is totally out of my comfort zone, and writing a short story. Not all my list is here, but you can see I am leaning toward a creative side. Years ago I took a writing course and several of the published authors in the course encouraged me in my writing strength which is nonfiction. So, short story is a good place to begin a challenge, you know cause of the short part. 

Buddy is not cooperating with me and she's making it difficult to write, so this post is finished up. She sure is purring. She has started eating again, more than treats and for this I am extremely thankful. I think she is also done with sleeping in bed with me, but we will see what she does when it gets colder. 

No comments: