Monday, May 10, 2021

From There to Here While Gardening

 Today is a big day on the journey, adventure, quest, sojourn, odyssey, pilgrimage and expedition of getting Roy from there to here... He has sorted through and made his decisions on what to keep, thank goodness the tables are staying, as the movers move him to the condo. Even this morning he made his final decision on which mirror was going to accompany him and happily, I think he made the best choice based on movability, weight and the final decision long length mirror will fit in here perfectly. It is always about the big picture, even with mirrors. 

I don't think the Feral Fam use the garage at night unless it is raining and I do believe with their absence at night, a raccoon has come in, knocked over the garbage can and my goodness, created an opening in a hard plastic container with treats. I hate to do this, but the garage door is coming all the way down beginning tonight. It is also coyote season, but if the cats are wandering about all night and not using the garage, they know the hidey holes and places around here. Radley was back this morning and he was starving. 

The movers are in Katy and Roy says there are moving fast. He had it really organized, so I know that helps. Our new screen door for here, was delivered but the installer didn't like how the door looked, so he is taking it back and having a new one ordered. I had just gotten home from filling up the truck. He had called Roy, Roy calls me to let me know that Ron was at the gate. So the morning has been eventful and cool. It is still pretty cool out for a May morning. There is more work to be done but I need a little warmth to help me along the way. 

Colonial Pipeline is shutdown and that means gasoline here on the east coast will be at a premium. Got word out to friends here, go fill up those cars and trucks. Roy said this morning, it could be a while before the pipeline flows again. Emergency action for trucking the liquid gold from Houston refineries has been enacted. Oh Colonial, you make life so interesting and not in a good way. 

*****************

It was a foggy overcast morning...in May, so this fog doesn't count for snow in the winter. I think we got rain last night. I let the Feral Fam stay in the garage but put up everything in containers that would be tempting to a raccoon. Rocky came last night, but found nothing to eat. In protest, he knocked a few spray paint cans off the shelf. Everyone was in attendance for breakfast with HP being a late comer this morning. Mama Cat and Punky are sitting on rocks in the backyard right now. I mentioned to a friend it has been a year without kittens and she said, oh Nancy, you shouldn't have said that. With Punky and Mama Cat camping out in the back this morning, me thinks there might be kittens in the future as they are there staking out territory and they don't get along and begin hissing fights at the dinner table. We shall see. If there are kittens, Punky's would be almost 5-6 weeks and as a rule she has brought them into the backyard around 4 weeks old. So, we shall see. 

Saturday I did a lot of planting and working in of soil. My neighbors gave me a pile of....compost and I said it was my Mother's Day gift. That horse manure works wonders in the garden. I did a little weed eating as well. By Saturday night I was pooped...wasn't that a great reference to compost. I also went to TJs as a new shipment of plants had arrived. Beautiful day for a drive, so I took the Mustang. Let's just say I improvised getting everything home. I have no shame, cause I drove down one of the wealthiest streets in Houston in a convertible, with two big rolls of area rugs sticking up out of the backseat. Cue Beverly Hillbillies music. The saying here is when one becomes a good improviser, one is truly Appalachian and one crusty, mountain woman said to me as we loaded up Mustang Sam, that's some good improvisation and to me that makes me officially an Appalachian (by choice.) 

While Saturday was for gardening here, Saturday was for moving in Houston. The movers gave Roy a great compliment by asking if he was military, due to his organizational skills. Once Roy had settled in to begin the task of setting up his new abode, he Google Duo called to show me how he had arranged the furniture. No one should fear that Roy will go into the designer business once he retires. So we rearranged the living room by phone. He had his sunroom set up rather nicely and we did a rearrange of some small things in the bedroom. Technology has been so helpful. Even with the task of putting things away, setting up new routines and the like, he sounds so relieved not to do the commute from Katy anymore. At one point as he sorted and we talked he decided he would get rid of a couple of emergency items for power outages. I reminded him, you have no generator now, so you might want to keep a couple of things. The good thing is, BW is on the grid with an assisted living high rise and will get power back quicker than when we lived on Post Oak Lane. 

I really thought Roy would opt on Post Oak Lane living. He was looking at first floor condos, knows the ins and outs after we lived there nearly 18 years. But then I think he needed a different mindset to finish out living in Houston. He also has a direct entrance to the freeway and can come home the scenic way through the park. 

These past two weeks have been jammed packed and at times overwhelming. Yesterday, in Sunday School, we were studying The Lord's Prayer and getting ready to go into the parable after it. Such a good lesson, but in the midst of hearing about prayer, the thought came to mind how we had been praying asking the Lord for wisdom in all of this. A random phone call from a Keller Williams agent while Roy was here and I was kind of upset that he answered an unknown number. That call got us to thinking and moving so to speak. We contacted Ryan and as they say, the rest is history. That small irritating and interrupting call was what God used. I try to mindful of the everyday ordinary that are really miracles and wonderment from and to the Lord. God used Keller Williams, and what is so funny is the agent was more interested in what we were going to do for a living place if we decided to sell our home. 

The wind really gusted in the early evening hours last night and one of the shepherd hooks is leaning with the bougainvillea, so I better get out there and take care of that. Buddy is asleep in her window and I'm getting ready to don my gardening togs.  


No comments: