Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Just Another March Type Day in May

 Yesterday, a banner day for Roy. He bought a TV after work, I ordered his dishes, floor lamp, and two sets of sheets. He said the sheets on the double bed, the fitted sheet had lost its elasticity. He went through a few more boxes as he slowly gets his condo in order. From the look of things, it is coming along quite nicely. He is enjoying the shorter commute, that's for sure. Today, they hook up the Wifi. 

I spent the better part of yesterday morning attending to the gate and its wayward ways. It wouldn't close all the way and it wouldn't open all the way. I Googled the problem, tried to watch You Tube videos but when you cannot even figure out how to open the box with the controls, the videos are useless, I tells ya. After pondering said problem over a vitamin water, I decided to try one last attempt and it worked. Once that problem was tackled, it was onto shepherd hooks that had bent with the gusty wind. Fixed and while being on the fixit role, I put galvanized edging around the new trees. Since it was so sunny and a pleasure to be outdoors, I planted marigolds and some border plants. To end the outdoors kind of day, I got out the Irish Spring and placed it around the garage because squirrels, raccoons and their ilk, don't like the fragrance of Irish Spring. Happy to report that it worked because I didn't see any evidence of raccoons this morning. The Feral Fam just looked so contented in their corner and didn't have the heart to make them go out for the night, which they probably did after it got really dark. 

Looking back at last year and how I approached what everyone said would be the norm, concerning groceries, I would approach it differently today. I hate to admit it, but there was some panic buying. As I rearranged the pantry, I have enough soup to endure several winters, but can't because most of the expiration dates are 2022. There is an abundance of pinto beans in the pantry but that is due to the fact I was making a lot of taco soup and I still make taco soup, so those will be used before any expiration happens. Hmmm...soup seems to be a theme. The timing of the Colonial Pipeline due to a cyberattack with the opening up of the state just seems sad. People are wanting to get out, restaurants are full, but now you cannot find gasoline to get you to any of the places you want to be. It's reminding me of those long ago Bugs Bunny cartoons made during WWII, and the question asked, "is this trip necessary?" That's what I am thinking as I debate errands. Should I wait until I can do them all in one day? Bur really, it feels like the same amount of gasoline would be consumed whether it is an all day or a two day thing. 

***********************

A rainy morning here. I decided yesterday to get out and run errands. First stop, Lowe's for a gorilla yard cart. Then Reems Creek cause I figured they would have zinnias. Yes and I also bought a flat of cosmos. Big Lots, next stop to get a new trash can for the garage, it locks...to deter the raccoons who haven't been back since everything they might be interested in is inaccessible. Irish Spring is the wonderful fragrance of the garage. Publix for groceries and Ingles for some of their Chinese food which is surprisingly good. I started working on putting the gorilla cart together in the late afternoon. It has been relatively easy but cumbersome to get the nuts and bolts tightened. All that is left to do is attaching the handle and the mechanism to be able to dump the contents of the cart in one spot. Meanwhile back at the ranch, Roy couldn't get the WiFi to work on his computer. TV and phone worked. So he figured his computer might be in a dead spot and he was right. So he rearranged the furniture and got his computer working on WiFi. He is a happy camper. His floor lamp was delivered yesterday and his dishes should be there today. 

It feels somewhat strange letting so much go since selling the house. In some ways it is a blessing not to have to deal with everything because one of us has to go to assisted living. No doubt we still have plenty of stuff here and I do a lot of work culling out things that no longer seem relevant or like the book says, brings joy. When we first moved here I bought a lot of things in anticipation of having guests and I still have some of that stuff, but most of it has moved on. The reality of the matter is, it is kind of like traveling for me. I don't like to travel much but I like the accessories that go along with travel. 

This morning Punky introduced her babies to the backyard. She has four of them which considering her last two litters of six and seven, this is small. Two black and whites, one white and black and one orange and white. It has been a year since any kittens have been born. The rest of the Feral Fam are in the garage, napping in the corner. Yesterday, Bootrey was looking after Boodos. Boodos suffered a several months ago hip injury and has been slowly but surely recovering. He spends a lot of time in the garage and Bootrey came up to him and began licking his back legs, cleaning him up. It brought a tear to my eye watching these two and having to do so from a distance. 

I cannot believe that I have to cover up flowers and such tonight because of a frost advisory. For sure I will get the blackberries covered up and a few other things. I'll move some into the front porch as well. My poor hydrangea this will be the fourth time trying to come back from frost and freeze. The one on the end sure looks dead and I will get it cleared out to put in something else, but don't know yet what I'll get. It feels like March in May today. I'm glad I didn't take the electric blanket off the bed. 


No comments: