Sunday, August 22, 2010

Weekend Recap

It has been quite a fun weekend. Roy's new camera arrived on Friday and he is one happy and excited camper. He is signed up for photography classes that begin in September. None of the following pictures were taken with his new camera. So, we celebrated the much researched and much anticipated arrival of his camera and backpack. On Friday evening Dena and I went out to dinner to celebrate her....___ birthday. Let's see, she is two years younger than me. Anyway, she picked out one of our favorite oldie but goodie places, Massas Grill. They serve the best fried shrimp and steak fries. We were a little disappointed to find that the tomatoes capresse is no longer a salad option but the raspberry endive salad was divine. Dinner conversation was not at a loss and we began contemplating our dessert options. Massa's is really good but their desserts are not calorie worthy. I mean if you are going to take a major step off the healthy eating plan, the dessert needs to be worth it. Foolishly, we thought, oh yes dessert at Grand Luxe. Ha ha ha...what were we thinking? No parking and the line waiting for a table was out the door. Plan B was Mama's Cafe. They serve some great coconut creme pie and cinnamon coffee. Perfect! After dessert, we waddled back to the car and headed to her place so that she could open her birthday gift. Had the scare of the evening while she was showing me her new computer and as I was turning to leave the room I stepped on something that made noise. First though, oh gee, I've stepped on Sassy (her cat) but it was this stuffed animal. A lion and it made all kinds of funny roaring noises. I almost wet my pants laughing so hard cause I might have set a new world record in the standing broad jump.

On Saturday morning, Dayspring our Sunday School class, celebrated Dena's and Carolyn's birthday at Pappasitta's. Yes, introducing more to the joy of the pecan pancakes. We all had a blast!

One can meet the most interesting people and decorations in the Pappasita's party room.

This is Dena and me posing for a pic.

This is Thuy, pronounced Twee. She is a blast and loves The Nord too. She's good people.



Of course a birthday isn't a birthday without the sombrerros and a Happy Birthday song at Pappasita's. No head lice were procurred from previous wearers of the sombrerro.



You be the judge. Either one of these two is very shy or one of them did not follow directions. If you guessed did not follow directions, you are correct.


Today was Back to School Sunday at Houston's First Baptist. We were asked to wear our team colors or shirts from a school we root or support. Roy graduated from LSU and University of Houston, but his "play" college he supports is Rice. I went to Southwest Texas State, now known as Texas State University and University of Houston. I was accepted at Baylor, love rooting for Rice but had to go with Old Dominion University. Why? Because they are the Monarchs. We support Team Monarch, so I ordered t-shirts from Old Dominion to proudly display that fact. Roy also wore a baseball jersey from Rice University.


These are our friends David and Emily. We went out to lunch with them after church today and had a great time. Love them! Yes, even though they wear the burnt orange, we still love them and will share a meal with them.






Ah Sunday evening, you came quickly. Sunday evenings when I worked were the hardest. It's the time when you close down the weekend and begin ramping up for the work week ahead. Tomorrow is the beginning of school for most here in the Houston area. The malls will be strangely but nicely quiet, the gym will be less crowded and Target won't be too bad until after school lets out. Summer has gone by too fast but I wouldn't be telling the truth if I told you I'm looking forward to the fall named months and the hope of cooler temperatures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nancy,
I've been stalking your blog for a while now. Can't wait to hear all about Roy's camera (what type, etc.) Congrats on your weight loss, you look great! My daughter and her family live in Houston, so it is fun to read about places I have been to when visiting her.
BTW, I am posting as anonymous b/c my google account never works! My name is Kathy, I live in Jackson, MS.