Monday, August 9, 2010

What Comes First a Chicken or a Laughing Cow?

Roy and I are back on the straight and narrow path after taking a few detours and side trips that happened during the birthday week. It was encouraging after Wednesday's breakfast of two donuts and later that evening when dinner concluded with dessert, that I missed the simple foods that are the staples of our eating plan. On Thursday I was happy to go back to yogurt and fruit and no real sugary dessert after dinner. Now Friday night, a little side trip at Taste of Texas in the arena of bread was a delightful jaunt and apple crisp with cinnamon ice cream was a delicious diversion. Although it was fruit and the cinnamon in the ice cream helped to stabilize my blood glucose. I have real estate in the swamp to sell as well....


So, tonight for dinner I thought Nancy, well I could have thought Susan but I wouldn't have responded, Nancy why don't you make a delicious dinner of toast, tomatoes and egg beaters? I decided that instead of having a dinner from My Fit Food, I would make scrambled eggs and use egg beaters. Now something that I have found that works so well with the egg beaters is a wedge of low fat/low calorie Laughing Cow Cheese. And since I didn't have enough egg beaters to make a serving, I added one egg to the mixture. Now, have I ever mentioned that I have the attention span of a gnat? So sometime during getting my low calorie whole wheat bread into the toaster and returning to the scrambled egg mixture on the stove, I completely forgot about using egg beaters and adding the Laughing Cow Cheese. Since I forgot this vital information I began stirring the mixture and this thought pops into the old brain, "what is that white stuff there amongst the eggs?" Remember, I am forgetting I added cheese, using one real egg and the remaining mixture is egg beaters and of course I freak out. Oh my goodness, this is a HUGE chicken embryo that has been developing inside the egg. Oh no! I just participated in the abortion of a small baby chick! Oh and being the Bible scholar of weird and strange verses, of course this verse comes to mind. It comes to mind because it kind of, in a funny kind of way, has been my life verse during the past two years while I've been losing weight.

"Don't people complain about unsalted food? Does anyone want the tasteless white of an egg? My appetite disappears when I look at it; I gag at the thought of eating it." Job 6:6-7


I began to gag and choke a bit. I was in a hurry to dump this mess and retreat to the safe knowing of My Fit Food. Suddenly it hit me. I was reminded, oh yes, this white blob is not an aborted baby chicken, it is merely the by product of a laughing cow. Man, I began to laugh because this is not the first time I have had this happen while preparing scrambled eggs. A good reminder to Roy and to me, it really isn't safe for me to be alone in a kitchen preparing food.

4 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I am laughing out loud....I love laughing cow cheese..think I will get a wedge right now...

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I am laughing out loud....I love laughing cow cheese..think I will get a wedge right now...

Lauren said...

That is hilarious! And using that verse from Job while you're losing weight makes me laugh.

martyh said...

I agree - just hilarious. I call it menopausal brain! You are not alone.