Friday, December 17, 2010

Ode to Mustang Sally

Today is kind of a happy/sad day. Mustang Sally is going to a new home. Roy just dropped her off on his way to pick up Saquisha Sequoia.


Mustang Sally has been so much fun and we've had so many good memories together. Many an evening Roy and I would just drive around town with the top down. It felt so good to have all that fresh air hit your face. The nieces loved Sally at Christmas time because we always took off for adventure, wrapped up in blankets and throws, with a hot Starbucks in our hand. Sally was also the official car of the Royal Ride. The Kings and Monarchs would ride around at Christmas with the top down looking at lights and making great monkey noises just to aggravate Jenea. Good times! Dena and I always enjoyed a cool ride in the spring and fall and Sally was great to go look at Bluebonnets. I will always remember the fragrance in air during the seasons, floral during spring and summer, wood fireplaces in the fall and evergreen and pine during winter. One of my favorite memories is when I still worked for Jason. We took my car to Highpoint and I let Jason drive. Matt Powell was sitting in the backseat. We would get sympathetic looks from other drivers. Well, probably Matt got the sympathetic looks from people thinking, what a nice young man letting his dad drive and letting his grandmother sit in the front seat. Mustang Sally was fun at staff retreats. CourtneyS, Michelle and Catha rode around with me in Galveston and we sang our little hearts out. One night before a Nord special shopping night, we sat in the parking garage, top down and Tina Turner blasting. Amy P, Lisa P and Peggy B and I did all the choreography beside the car to all of Tina's song. One Christmas Lisa P rode in the back seat covered up in a blanket to save her voice. She was the black Madonna paying homage to scary angel in River Oaks. Sally got us up close and personal viewing scary angel. Ah, good times! Running errands was never mundane with Sally. Even though Sally was 7 years old, she only had 51,000 miles on her and most of those miles were great fun. It was time for someone else to enjoy her. My knees were complaining because of the low entrance and exit. Roy thought it was too hot in the car during the summer and of course I remembered during thunderstorms that although being in a car was safe, not one with a soft top. She was the car that brought me home from the hospital after surgery in 2005 and she took me to the cardiologist in 2008. I'm going to miss Sally and she will always have a soft and special place in my heart. Mustang Sally, I bid you adieu.

1 comment:

AyDubb said...

Saquisha. I love it. Call her 'Quisha for short? Or is it Qui-qui? LOL!