Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Expedient

Another reading from Brilliant Thoughts for Women, circa 1893...I totally have used the word expedient wrong.  I thought it meant quick or efficient...no it means: 

1.    a means of attaining an end, especially one that is convenient but considered improper or immoral.
:  suitable for achieving a particular end in a givencircumstance
2
:  characterized by concern with what is opportune;especially :  governed by self-interest

From the book; "It is a sad thing-avoid it-to be reduced to live by little expedients, daily expedients."  Maria Edgeworth.

I mentioned our worship service on Sunday and I would like to add that the music led by the choir and orchestra was so powerful.  Up there on the back row of the balcony I teared up while singing When I Think About The Lord. What a word!  The wellspring of exuberance and joy flowed out of my spirit in gratitude and thankfulness.  Thank you friends!  Also along this vein of thought, while looking at churches in the Asheville area, I find it funny that many of the more trendy style services mentions a choir and orchestra led service but people on some risers and a band is not choir and orchestra.  Love singers on risers and a band but that is what they are.  

The days are dwindling down living in the 50's decade.  It actually has been one of my more favorite decades when in reality it should not have been.  I am going to blog about it but I am writing this all down for me and if you enjoy the observations, that pleases me.

Yesterday seemed to be the paramount day of emotions and I was rather cranky.  Seems maybe I shouldn't have been after Sunday but just maybe I let the birds eat the seed before it was planted deep into the soil of my heart.  It seems that here of late I feel like I am just background noise.  No one, not even Roy, noticed my new glasses.  It feels like I am on auto repeat having to repeat stuff that I have already said and thought had registered with others.  Then while doing the old pick up around the house routine I had to erase some messages on our phone.  We have been advised to keep the messages from APS, the mental health division of the police, and my father's threatening message he left while I was in NC.  So as I deleted everything else, I heard those messages, just snippets...well, actually I shouldn't have but I listened to my father's message again.  That kind of put me in a cranky state of mind. 

In my vast research into homes around Asheville, it seems that yellow and this strange green is in just about every home...oh and a bright blue.  What's with that?  Guess all the beige and neutral of Rancho De Five has left me a little underwhelmed by this huge use of color.  Also as we search Zillow and Realtor.com, if people haven't taken the time to make sure you can see the pictures instead of just dark with a window or not even fixing the pic to be the correct view...gone. Even if a house has good bones, if there is a copious amount of wallpaper or green or blue carpet... no lookie.  Pretty much goes for neutral color carpeting in the great or family room.  Preferring hardwood or engineered wood.  Think we are not going to consider anything that isn't a slab foundation.  Too many problems arise if crawl space isn't done well...so says my research.  We have also decided that if on this trip nothing wows us, we aren't pressured to just get something.  We have a window of opportunity with interest rates, so we don't have to rush.  It is a buyers market there for the most part.  We are narrowing down the houses we want to see with our Realtor in the two full days Roy will be there with me.  






No comments: