Monday, July 14, 2014

Persevering With Brilliant Thoughts From 1893

If only life were half as exciting as the emails that land in my junk mail folder.  I am sure many have received the same good news of an inheritance from someone we have never heard of or maybe the emails informing us that only we can be trusted with this huge amount of money again from someone we have never heard of and with all these offers of free money, we would be fools not to buy prescription drugs from a highly reputable source on the internet thus saving even more of our inheritance and funds designated just for us if only we will send in some very basic information.  Life in the junk folder holds all kind of surprises.  How did I start getting email gun alerts?  Somehow I don't think those who take up the fabulous offers from their junk email folder live an enviable wild with abandon life.  Those who take up those offers usually find themselves on the opposite end of fabulous because they are living with great fear.

Pastor Gregg sent himself and us into his sabbatical with a great sermon on worship.  The service format was nicely done with his thoughts partnered with music.  Psalm 95 will not look the same to me now.  After the service we got to catch up with a few friends and then we were off to The Fresh Market.  We planned ahead and brought a cooler so we could bring home some prepared dinners.  Then once we got back to the Rancho De Five, we ate brunch at Las Alameda's and we were so happy to have one of our very favorite waiters.

I haven't forgotten my word of the year, persevere and that's what it feels like with the healing of this cyst on my back.  It is located in no man's land, I can't reach it myself to apply bandages and such.  The only thing I am able to do myself is take the bandage off.  I did just that Saturday morning before Roy got home and panicked by the results of said bandage removal, I was on the phone to Roy asking him to come home quickly and help me persevere in this hour of despair.  Yesterday was much better and so is today. September will not come soon enough to get this thing removed.  Just get to keep checking stuff off the list to get done and health check ups caught up.

The other night while showing Beth around the incredible downstairs at Lake Bain, I got to do a little book shopping from an estate sale Bill had been to.  I found two books, well I liked more than two books, that needed to come home with me.  One in particular got my attention, Brilliant Thoughts for Women, published in 1893.  It's very interesting yet I don't feel quite like I have obtained brilliant thoughts from the readings divided by by months and dates.  That could be due to the flowery language that one used to describe the simplest of thoughts.  I do love this quote from a Friday in October:

"There is a noble and an ignoble anger.  There are moments and situations in life when one requires a burst of anger to be able to grapple powerfully and lend justice a strong helping hand.  But such moments come seldom; and the danger of falling in the annoyances and little vexations of everyday life, from a noble into an ignoble anger is so great that we ought to do all we can to govern and conquer this emotion and its eruptions."  Selections from the writings of Fredrika Bremer 1801-1865.

 Her writings are the ones for October and having just read through the month, she is profound.  Her questions in life and her grasp of the danger of anger is downright astonishing for 1893.  Guess that is why she is a brilliant woman with brilliant thoughts.

No comments: