Monday, October 30, 2017

A Little Snow And A Big Astro Victory

I wish, wish, wish I could have stayed awake to watch the Astros in the World Series game last night but two and a half weeks of nonstop fun and action caught up with me yesterday afternoon. Upon arriving home from the morning drive from Charlotte, wave upon wave of exhaustion wore me down to nothingness. Sensing that I would need today to also recuperate, I texted Taylor and canceled today's workout.

This I know for sure, I do not miss living in a big city. With two trips to Charlotte this week, in rain and in traffic, this point is surely emphasized. Their shopping mecca is very Galleria like but not knowing the ins and outs of the area...put me at a disadvantage. I finally found the Barnes and Noble near the South Park Mall and it is a good one! Came home with lots of bookish treats. Then to the mall to have lunch at The Nord and use one of my triple point days. I drove around to the Macy's and did a quick perusal, not because I didn't want to spend more time there, I did, but it happened to be a crummy Macy's last Monday. I'll give it another shot but it reminded me of the Northwest Mall Macy's in the feel and this mall has Nord, Neiman Marcus, and Dillard's too, so it came as quite the shock. In the midst of this shopping trip I kept an eye on the weather. Beth and I had left Asheville in the rain and experienced even heavier rain on the road. That same system was headed over Charlotte's way. I managed a quick stop in the Billy Graham Library to shop their bookstore and then headed over to the hotel. Wow, I got there just in time because the rain came down hard with lots of wind. I really liked the room we had. Can you request rooms at Holiday Inn Express? This one had a couch in it and the room was nicely laid out in design.

Where has October gone? The days are cool and the nights are cooler. The leaves are turning and changing late this year so it has been fun sharing these sights with friends and with Roy. Roy and I have had so much to get done and I think there are just a few little things that didn't get resolved but the big check off items have been checked off.  But we did have Bruce come over to begin the process of planning for the back deck becoming the screened in back porch, heaters checked and serviced for winter, DC came over and fixed the light in the bathroom, bought a TV for our bedroom, new software installed and a WiFi boost operating. We also had an epic Walmart shopping trip. And speaking of epic shopping trips, we did a Costco run in Charlotte. That Costco has to be the busiest one we have ever shopped in, topping Houston by the hundreds. We had dinner at a Longhorn Steakhouse just down the freeway from Costco. Lots of traffic there too.

Oh, yes, when Bruce was here, he checked out the crawl space for us. Remember in July, when the Orkin guys were here and told me just how bad the crawl space was, calling it a vermin and mold apocalypse catastrophe of biblical proportions? Well, they lied...I know shock upon shock. Even the heater guy mentioned that our crawl space was in good condition. Should I send Orkin my Dr bill and cardioversion out of pocket expenses because they put me into afib with their talk...knowing full well I would not go down to the crawl space with them to check it out. A tip off to me was this, the pace of life is much slower here. That is good and bad...cause I enjoy the slower pace but when it comes to getting something done, nothing is done quick. There is always a wait. These guys on a Thursday afternoon wanted to get this job started on Monday morning. Nothing around here gets done that fast.

SequishShawn is getting new shoes this week. I cancelled our service appointment with the local Toyota dealership. I haven't felt confident in the service there since the dealership was bought out. We went to the car repair shop down the way where we have gotten inspections. They'll change the oil for $10.00 if you bring the oil and filters. So they'll do all that and align the front end and of course the new tires.

I am perfecting my roast recipe and the perfection is mainly using Taste of Texas Roast Seasoning. I thought I might make tortilla soup but didn't get around to it.

We took Buddy to get her second steroid shot Friday. We were successful in getting the chill pill down her two hours before the appointment. She was mellow but still a little feisty. Friday night she slept it off and we could tell by Saturday morning she was feeling oh so fine.

So, I have eased into the day this morning. Happy that the Astros won and having a little snow in the backyard.

No comments: