Tuesday, October 10, 2017

A Pleasant Re-Cap

The phone awoke me this morning and I had overslept. So, it will be computer church or old school radio church this morning. A friend reminded me that I could remit to the front porch, with such a beautiful view and have church there. Yep, that sounds like a plan. It is a cloudy morning and the roads look as if we had rain at times through the night. It was a long, short night of sleep. Buddy and I couldn't get on the same wavelength about bedtime. I had been over at Vivian's for coffee and cake with some of her family. Well, I had water with my cake but the main event was the coconut cake. Such a pleasant evening especially after the nail biter game of LSU vs Florida. LSU won by one point. So, it was taking me a little while to settle down and once that happened of course Buddy had moved past that and wanted to stay up and meow...which means go downstairs and give her a treat.  She finally decided to settle down herself but it was fitful sleep there at the get go. Speaking of Buddy, she has joined me in hopes of helping with the blog post.

Again, I tried tackling the change of clothes for change of seasons yesterday. This year I am more inclined to be more generous for the collection of clothes to give to Salvation Army. So, there are several piles of; to go, to keep, thinking about which pile this article of clothing will go to pile and the what in the world was I thinking pile. In Texas linen can go long into the fall season and this year here, I've worn linen longer since it has been warm but this weekend the linen is being stored until the next season.

The rain has started and it was more gentle a few minutes ago and has progressed to steady. I should probably get the trash out before it progresses to heavy.
********************
I know you all have been waiting for this news, I did get the trash out but it was in rain, but not in the heaviest of the showers. Since I was out on a school night I haven't gone down to the road yet to get the empty trash bin...but believe me...it will happen today...Tuesday.

Why was I out on a school night? Our Sunday School class, I mean Life Group served at the Hospice Center last night. We served supper to the families and friends of those who are there with loved ones and the staff. Inez. Velda, Gwen, Judy C, Brenda and I went to represent our class, our church and our Lord. Judy W cooked the lasagna and rolls for us. The Solance Hospice Center is such a well thought out design and their great room is comfortable and comfortable art pieces of quilts and stained glass cozy up that great room. We met some of the kindest people as we served supper, dessert and sweet tea. One lady, Doris, was from Kentucky. She had come to sit with her sister as she transformed from this life into eternal life. She was an interesting woman and a grateful woman. She said, we have a place to stay but having someone thinking of bringing us supper is just wonderful. Another lady shared that when her youngest passed away from cancer, she and her daughters cooked up a huge meal and brought it to the hospice center as a thank you for all the love and care her loved one received. It is a humbling experience to serve when those you are serving are facing a huge loss in their lives very soon. Honestly, I was happy to help provide dessert, Inez's butter pecan cake was a huge hit with nothing but crumbs left, but I wasn't too sure about actually serving...being there. The rhythms at the end of life is not something I have been keen to be around since a traumatic childhood experience of being locked in a funeral home with a body, lights dimmed and the ghostly sound of the dead, being voiced by my father to scare oops, I mean to tease me. So through the years I have experienced and envisioned unrealistic fears related to the end process but through the years help has been extended by others to help me. Serving last night was one of those big helps.

After dropping off Brenda and Judy and the food we had picked up from church, I parked the truck and walked back to the serving area checking for any scores from the Astros game. Yes! They had come from behind and won the game. That is such good news especially for Houston recovering from hurricane devastation and JJ Watt being lost for the rest of the Texan's season.

The red barn down the road which has been torn down and parts salvaged for barn wood, caught fire yesterday afternoon or maybe set to fire for removal. The flames from the embers blazed on even into the evening, visible from the front porch. I hate to see that barn be destroyed for new little homes being built everywhere. So glad that Roy has taken several pictures of it throughout the last few years.

I checked our rain gauge yesterday and we had almost two inches of rain from Nate. We had wind as well but it is south and east of our area that received the most damage. The sound of chain saws filled the air as tree limbs were being trimmed down and disposed of. It is still warm and humid, very Houston like feeling but they say a cool front is a coming. 


No comments: