Saturday, October 14, 2017

Fall, Faith, Football and Baseball....

The past several days I have sat down to write a post and my attention diverted by fallish things. It is lovely to be diverted by fallish things. The view from the front porch becomes more autumnal each day. It has been sad watching the smoldering ashes of the old red barn that has been salvaged for barn wood and then burned to the ground because it must be cheaper than hauling everything off. It has taken a good two to three days for everything to become ask. I drove by the remains yesterday... All done for progress as more homes will be built on that side of the ridge. The man that owns the pasture in front of us still has big trees on the far end of his property that kind of keep all that covered up, at least for now.

Buddy gave me a little bit of a scare yesterday. She was no where to be found. I searched in all her regular spots as well as former regular spots. Then I searched the improbable spots. I mean really! I looked under the beds and behind things in our closet...well, my closet cause it isn't very big and would not hold clothes for both Roy and me. Meanwhile I am texting with Lisa P and CourtneyS because The Bad Seed was playing on TCM. Finally, after searching everywhere and then realizing I hadn't locked the storm door to the porch I did what every person who experiences unrealistic fears does; I concluded someone had stolen her off the front porch. That's when I called Roy cause I know I can't go down Unrealistic Valley Road...With his logical mind in gear we mentally checked off all of Buddy's favorite places. He gets louder as he gets more analytical and he was still in work mode. I then did what I should have done early on, put him on the speaker phone and start walking around the house...boom, Buddy shows up. We still don't have a clue where she was and I'll be watching her for the reveal...

Such a nice break from all the news, bad and good, to watch the Astros win game one of the ALCS against the Yankees. Eastern time zone makes it so difficult to stay up and watch these games to completion. The Auburn vs LSU game is an afternoon game and I think the Astros play in the late afternoon today.

This week I have been thinking about how much truth we can learn in an "aside" comment in conversations. Like an example would be, " we are going to go camping, even though you don't want to." Beginning with the red word even, that begins the aside comment that is usually said a little lower than the first part of 'we' in the phrase. Over the years I have taken notice of this aside thing while listening to preachers or to sermons. You can get a feel for the direction of the sermon whether it be an agenda sermon or truly a pastorial sermon in the aside. In conversations with friends and acquaintances, the aside tone reveals some of the truth or frustrations of the friendship. Like, "we can go anywhere you want for dinner, cause we are going to go where you want to anyways." Sometimes aside comments are unintentional, just words jumbling out that might have been thought about or over but never meaning to say them out loud. Or it could be the aside words are there to create conflict and have a person respond and thus the aside word just causes escalation.

This morning when talking to Roy after the Bible study he leads on Saturday mornings, he talked about Jesus and Judas and the accounts of Judas' actions in the Gospels. I love to hear Roy talk about the insights into the scripture he gets as he studies for each Saturday morning. He mentioned that basically Judas had anger issues and when he was reprimanded by Jesus to let the woman anoint Him. Roy said he thinks that might be the thing that put Judas over the edge. Interesting discussion.

And now I can go to sleep happy that LSU came from behind and won against Auburn and that the Astros beat the Yankees today in a dramatic walk off fashion.

No comments: