Tuesday, October 3, 2017

The BBBB

Several weeks ago I set a small butterfly free from the entanglements of a spider and its well crafted web. At first glance I thought it was dead and just twirling in the wind but signs of life were evident and I began to cut the ties that bound that poor butterfly. It didn't really matter if the butterfly stopped flailing or if it continued this avenue of exhaustion, without outside help it was doomed. I watched the little butterfly as it realized freedom had been had, it didn't fly off to flee the web up so high on the garage but it floated down to some flagstone and it rested...really, really rested and it looked so rested I reached toward it to see if it was still alive, it began to move its wings in case of the immediate requirement of flight. The image of the butterfly caught up in the web, twirling helplessly because parts of its wings were bound has come to mind often since that day of releasing the captive. Of course this is an obvious metaphor signifying so many fights and traps we encounter everyday.

Yesterday, after a great workout with Taylor, I headed over Waynesville way. Since lunch is the second most important meal of the day, I stopped in at Blue Rooster. After a delicious lunch it seemed to be a Belk kind of day as well. There I found some serving pieces that I have found I needed in the past few months. In fact they were some of the same that Ace Hardware in Katy had in January. Also some workout clothes were found and purchased. Since it is just down the road, a quick stop into Barber's Orchard for ornamental gourds and little baby pumpkins. Oh and a few apples. Then I thought well, I am so close to the Blue Ridge Parkway I should take the long and scenic way home and check out the fall colors. So on a Monday, look how Baptist I am, Blue Rooster, Belk's, Barber's Orchard and Blue Ridge Parkway. If you are Baptist you know exactly what I am writing about...

It has been a long time since I had been on this particular part of the parkway...oh so Baptist today...  The last time was years ago, back in our tourist days, when Roy and I picked up the parkway in Maggie Valley. In retrospect, it was probably around 276 there was a detour and those winding and twisting roads scared us coming down the mountain. Now, I love that road, 276. The sky was particularly brilliant and the wispy clouds radiated against that blue blue backdrop. My newest playlist is a compilation of songs done by California Baptist University and the Choir and Orchestra of Houston's First Baptist Church. The parkway wasn't too crowded and long stretches of road where no other cars were in view. Devil's Courthouse overlook was crowded otherwise it was a quiet and peaceful drive with the sun roof open. Planned on going on to graveyard fields but decided to turn around and head back for 215 into Canton. That too is a gorgeous drive. Since it was toward late afternoon the sun radiating off the yellow and red leaves demanded a few pics needed to be taken. I didn't stop at the waterfall but did take extra time around the Lake Logan area.

So today, with the exception of putting something in the mail, I stayed around the house. The long needed clean out of the closet under the stairs finally got some attention. At one point it looked like too big of a job to sort through and tidy up. Happy to report it got done and it is actually a workable closet now that doubles as a pantry since we have such limited kitchen storage. I am really trying hard not to rush through the book, The Last Castle...about the Biltmore Estate with an emphasis on Edith Vanderbilt. I also go a short story anthology today and I read the first story while eating pizza from The Fresh Market.

The story from the anthology...it was rather timely and profound to tie up things neatly in a bow as it were. Funny thing, the person in that short story sure could have used someone to remedy their situation... kind of like that butterfly I told you about in the first paragraph needed a rescue from the spider and the web. Sometimes it is searched for and sometimes it is a serendipity.


No comments: