Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Friends and Ferals

If it is a day that a regular morning routine is not observed, such as wearing deodorant or wearing any lotion above the waist, it must be mammogram day. And guess what? It is... And it is a beautiful sunny day, without the hint of any thunderstorms because I have been known to cancel mammogram appointments when there is a threat of the loss of electricity. Yes, these kinds of things come to mind and plague me with unrealistic fears. 

It has been a week since I have last blogged and it wasn't due to the fact that there was nothing new to report...no quite the contrary, lots of activity and fun. My friend Carole was at Ridgecrest with the Wellness Center staff of Houston's First Baptist Church. She was finished with her responsibilities on Thursday morning, so off to the Baptist conference center I had never been to. Missed opportunities as a youth, so it was a pleasure to drive through the conference center and grab a glance or two of the scenery while maneuvering the winding road. Found Carole and her luggage and they found their way into the truck and we were off for a four day adventure.

Our first stop, Waynesville in the Hazelwood district. Of course it is a must to go to Robin Blu and Hazelwood Soap Company and with that accomplished we headed toward Blue Rooster for a delicious lunch experience. And yes, the coconut cake did not disappoint. The rain returned while we were eating and with that we headed toward home. As we got closer to home, we had a reprieve from the rain and so we extended our trip to Marshall. I loved showing Carol the river road because it is one of my favorite drives...okay, so many roads around here are my favorite drives.  We went to Penland's and the old hardware store where we got the tour and the story of when the building way back in the day was used as a funeral home with a hardware store on the first floor. We made it home and just relaxed the evening away.

The Feral Fam who had all but disappeared must have known that there was a guest to impress, so they slowly but surely began to show up again. Camo was the first and then Mama Cat. By Friday evening MJ and Cali had come back too. So, the addition of their entertaining antics was certainly welcomed.

Friday morning we were able to ease into the day drinking coffee and talking. Like Carole said we must have talked a million words while she was here. We had decided not to do the Biltmore on this trip and since it had been awhile since I had been at The Farmer's Daughter, we were off to Chucky TN for a delicious and unending or at least it seems unending, lunch. Then we went over to Mountain View to do a little Amish/Mennonite food shopping. I think Carole's favorite part of the store was waiting outside in one of their comfortable patio chairs while I brought the truck around. Then we took a drive through the rolling hills of eastern TN. It was a lovely day and when we got back here we tried to see the Watusi cows and elk up close but they were not cooperating by being far out into the fields instead of being close to the fence. We tried on Saturday too but it was a no go for a close up view.

Saturday, we went back to Marshall for a brief look see at a quilt and then headed out for Grandfather Mountain. We stopped for lunch in Newland at The Italian Restaurant. That's what they serve and that's what it is named. Seems like others had the same idea about Grandfather Mountain but being a Bridge Club member, we got to go into the park on a back road that was adventurous. With all the people there, and with the hairpin turns to get up to the bridge, we decided to just to the lower part of the mountain to check on flowers, just buds no blooms and we were off to Valle Crusis. We both found some shoes we liked at Mast General Store and ya have to bring back some candy.

Sunday we went to Sunday School and church. A real treat because the guest speaker just happened to be the man who owns the company that installed our metal roof. Josh was very good and kept us engaged in the sermon. He preached on II Samuel 6, with the ark and Uzzah. Sunday morning was also special because I got to play the tambourine in the choir special and not to be funny. It is the first serious musical thing I have ever done and I am so appreciative to Pastor Gene for letting me do that. Now in rehearsal, it was not so serious and on the inside I might have been playing that way. When we sat down afterwards, the thought came that I had just been given another I Love Lucy life experience. My favorite episode is the operetta that Lucy writes and sings I Am The Queen of The Gypsies. It is always a joy to introduce friends here to friends from Houston and so Carole got to meet many of the people I cherish and love. Carole and I had lunch at Turkey Creek and then went to The Baked Pie Company and picked up the pie for the Fifth Sunday Fellowship. I ordered strawberry rhubarb pie. It was good! We both got a nap in before returning to church at 6:00. 

Of course we knew Monday was coming and Carole's return to Houston. We left a little early so we could enjoy lunch at Cracker Barrel. It was good and then headed onto Charlotte where I dropped her off at the airport. On the drive back home I had many good things to ponder over and take heed to some of Carole's wise words and encouragement. I was so, yes I am going to use a churchy  lefemme term, blessed by her counsel. Just like old times on the third floor of HFBC where my first office was in the First Place For Health office suite. She is planning on a return visit in the fall and I am so thrilled that she wants to return. We had the best time and even though she is an early morning person and I am more of a night, I won't say owl, but a night person, it works cause we are alike in so many other ways.

So on cue, the Feral Fam is nowhere to be seen this morning. So maybe they have gone to wherever they run off to but probably they'll be seen sometime soon wanting some food. 

No comments: