Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Roads, Ferals and Bird Conversations

The work on our road began this morning. I don't know exactly what they are doing and I was barely able to get out onto the main road with all the scraping and trucks and beeping noises. Almost was late to workout but made it with one minute to spare. I was looking forward to working out today because of a freaky thing that happened on Friday. Instead of doing a lot of core work, Taylor concentrated on my legs and hips...especially stretching the muscles. So it meant a lot of leg lifts and the like and then we moved onto bridges and bug. A little cramping around my hips but that is not unusual. It was time to go to the machines and when I stood up both legs cramped up...and it hurt like the dickens. Taylor thought if I walked a bit the cramping would ease...it didn't it had come to the point that I could not feel my left foot which was totally weird. That only lasted a nano second but from that point on I took it easy. Didn't have a problem for the rest of the day or even that night. He did use the DMS machine by my knee where my nerves have only been coming back with feeling from the 2013 ablation. He must have woke those nerves up and they decided to protest. Nothing like that happened today for which we were both thankful and we continued with the work of balance and strength.

Not only is the road getting worked on but so is the post office parking lot. They were out there last week looking at the shifting going on that is making the fence buckle and the poles pull loose.
***************************
This morning no Feral Fam, not even Mama Cat. They were around last night and I witnessed something that even if it isn't special, it was special for me. You don't see the Feral Fam like they used to be when the kiddos were kittens. They ate together, nicely, for the most part and traveled in a pack. Cali is the runt and they treated her differently but that little Feral Fam doesn't realize that so much of the goodness they experienced over the winter came from my deep affection for that little Cali. Last night, after putting out food and milk, Cali and MJ ate some and so did Mama Cat. As it was beginning to become night, I could see MJ keeping guard in front of the tent of napping. I could see that a cat was in there and it looked like Camo. MJ and Camo have always seemed close. MJ would sit there and then stick his head in the tent...which made me wonder, oh my is someone giving birth to babies? MJ changed positions and got up on the railing of the deck, with his head low into the bird bath attached to the deck. I thought, he is falling asleep and his head is going to go right into that water. But he wasn't asleep, that cat was on point. I looked out in the direction he was studying and there was a big, looked like a Maine Coon, cat attempting to come up the deck stairs and partake of supper. Before MJ could run and pounce on this big ol' cat, I stood up and looked over him behind the window and that stranger cat ran across the yard and up the embankment to the gravel road. MJ looked at me and his look had a thank you in it....or maybe that was just my imagination. About then it was Cali who came out of the tent of napping, not even aware that her brother had been keeping watch over her. She stretched, looked at the food bowls and then headed under the deck and house. Camo came onto the scene and little chunk cat Camo ate up the rest of the turkey and giblet gravy wet cat food while her brother kept guard, even long into the night after she had eaten and moved on. He has four white stockings in his coloring and when he sits, you see all black but last night he had one foot in the ready position to push off and make a leap. MJ stayed out there a long time and then he was gone...  A little later the sound of paws running across the deck got my attention as I saw just the curls of their tails as they moved over to the other side of the yard and that is the last I have seen of them. It seems like they go off and then come back after a while, maybe when they are famished. They hang around a day or two then run off again to find their fortune or most probably love...or a one night stand...whatever cats do. Truthfully, Cali looks like she is in the family way but I'm not sure about that. When the Feral Fam came into my care many friends suggested writing a book about them from Buddy's viewpoint. Well, her attention to them is short lived and doesn't pay them much mind unless they haven't been around for a while and she looks out the window and watches for them. On the other hand I have learned a lot from this little fam. Of course there is always the wish for the happy ending where they let me pet them but it is looking like they haven't chosen that ending. Oh well, I keep on hoping.

This afternoon I made a tuna fish run over to Fresh Market. Since it was after Mother's Day their roses had gone down in price, so I brought a bunch home. For the smaller vase I cut some of my yellow roses and put them in it. I'm sitting on the front porch watching the sky and wondering if the rain that is in the area will make its way here. So far it is doing the split thing and going around us to the east and west.

I'm also engaged in a conversation with Mr Cardinal. Using my bird songs on my phone. It is an interesting thing to do. Usually, these conversations are with Carolina Wrens but since we cleared out the front flowerbed, they stay in the back.

No comments: