Saturday, November 16, 2019

Sadness On A Thursday

Buddy and I have been on dog patrol since 4:00 am. That is the time yesterday that those two evil hounds disturbed the relative quiet of our backyard and killed one of the black and white kittens. The morning had begun with a beautiful sunrise and I checked the security footage and saw those two huge dogs running about the yard for a good fifteen minute clip around 4:00 am. I checked the live cameras and saw that the heated cat house and blankets that covered the pallet it sat on were thrown about and I steeled my courage to go out the door and see what had happened. There between the pallet and blanket was the black and white kitten, frozen in a running motion. I turned to go into the garage and get a towel to wrap it in and to put on gloves. I gently picked it up and turned it to see its face, eyes half opened and its mouth set, bearing its small teeth. Most probably since it wasn't mauled, it had its neck broken. Punky and Mr McBeavy didn't pay much attention to it and were more interested in breakfast but it seemed as if the reality of this little one being dead interested them more after my carefully picking it up and wrapping it in the towel. I laid it in one of the little chairs they all love, first Mr McBeavy and then Punky went over to pay their respects. It was so difficult to watch cause more tears filled my eyes but I took a couple of pics because I don't want to forget what their grief looked like. All morning Punky and the Mr kept close to the remaining kittens and yes, such relief to see that all others were okay. In the afternoon, keeping the kittens close by the cleft of the rock, Punky led them to the fence and the way underneath it. Of course I am thinking, no no no, don't go to the gravel road...nothing good happens there. But, it was a teaching experience, she was showing them escape routes because not long after that, climbing up on the fence with their half brother demonstrated another option. Edee, the calico, did not participate cause she is such a rolly polly, she couldn't find the opening to get under and then up to join the group. During the course of the day I could not help but check up on them. Punky sitting in the middle of the yard, with a deep stare and Mr McB on duty near the top of the property. Strawyer made an appearance and for this I was most thankful. He spends most of his time somewhere else and checks in once a day...for food. One of the black and white kittens was mourning too. It dug a hole in a flower pot, sunk deep into it and didn't move. Its siblings gathered round and stayed close for a long period of time...comforting. That particular kitten was the running buddy to the one that had been killed by the dogs. Last night as dusk turned to night Punky had the trio back at the cleft and she sat guard above them on a stump giving her a commanding view of the gravel road, the yard and the driveway. Once again I cried for that little one. That little one that Punky had pulled back under the house time and time again late in the night. The dogs cannot get to them when they are fully under our home and even though I have put up barriers before, I added to them yesterday afternoon.

Strawyer made an early appearance just now when I happened to go downstairs to retrieve a basket. He sat on the steps to the back porch and had just about given up on brunch. Today, he began to rub against my legs while getting the bowls and to fill one of them for him. He followed me into the garage as usual, continued rubbing against me and he even let me pet him, more like stroke his back. He was purring. I think he would give up the life and maybe just maybe after the holidays, we will see if he is open to living inside, of course without some of his equipment.

Back to the early morning patrol. I had gone to bed early in hopes of waking up to see if those dogs showed up. Maybe someone lets them out at that time of morning or maybe did they get out yesterday by accident? I have never seen the dogs and haven't a clue who owns them or if they are from down the street or over the hill and woods. I got caught up on all the news and Buddy slept soundly on my lap. To add to our patrol duties I was also facing a security issue and didn't know what to do. I also used that early morning time to read through the instruction booklet, didn't help. Went online...couldn't find an answer. Long story...all is well. Roy helped me figure it out and he said if we made a mistake, the alarm company office opened in about fifteen minutes. One more addition to the morning, I woke up not feeling very good. It feels like it is a short lived bug and for that I am thankful.

Our lesson on Sunday will not be the Lifeway lesson and so I have had fun studying this week. Truthfully, I enjoy studying and consider it serious fun. I began writing it out last night and will work on it in just a bit.

This will be a two parter post but there is somewhat good news to report concerning the dogs and cats

No comments: