Friday, November 29, 2019

Houston, Houston, Houston

Roy just left to take Sequishshawn to the dealership to have the fuel injectors looked at and get the oil changed. Oh and they said they can make another key for us. Somehow and someplace the other key came off the key ring. We doubled back at all the places we had been that day but no one had turned it in. So for the past three months I have almost been OCD with knowing where the truck key was.

Happy Day After Thanksgiving! Ours was quiet and after so many years of dealing with chaos and stress and usually some hurtful words, we love that we don't have to endure that anymore. This was the time of year where I counted down the days until January 15th, which was the day after my father's birthday. We've been enjoying our Thanksgivings since 2012. My last Thanksgiving in Houston was in the rehab hospital three years ago... Yesterday was a much better Thanksgiving in Houston, even though it is warm. Roy and I got a slow start to the day. He made biscuits, yum and we watched a movie. I got cleaned up and we headed over to Buc-ees, with hundreds of our closest friends. The place was happening. We got a few gifts for NC friends, a couple of things for ourselves and filled up the truck. Then we did our traditional jaunt to Bass Pro Shop. Since we don't have a Bass Pro Shop nearby, it was a treat. Their sales weren't that good but we did find a couple of things. I found a shirt that couldn't be worn here cause I don't know that it would ever get cold enough...packed away for home where I'll have ample opportunities to wear it. There were tons of employees with nothing to do but bug you about getting $25 off your purchase. A young man asked if I had a couple of minutes to learn of some exciting, new opportunities...hmmm....that used to be a hook line for Campus Crusade and Amway, but it felt safe that this would be Bass Pro related. They have partnered with a travel business to offer opportunities to travel and see things throughout the country, including cruises. Sadly, I had to inform him I am not a good traveler and I am quite happy being at home, which he took to mean Houston. He soon learned he had someone there who doesn't like to travel much unless it is a good road trip. So this marketing minded young man dangled the opportunity to spend time in the Smoky Mountains. I rebuffed the dangle with the words, we have a home there. I live there. It has taken three years to get me back to Houston to help Roy with getting the house ready to sell and some Dr appointments for him. Yep, it felt like home as I described the mountains and 441 that takes you from NC into TN and through the Smoky Mountains. He heard about the elk in the Cattaloche and the perilous drive to go up the mountain on a narrow gravel road, with no guard rails. He probably heard more about the mountains than he wanted to. He probably wanted his few minutes back. But for me it was wonderful to talk about the place I love so much. It made the warm temps bearable for the rest of the afternoon. We took a little drive around for me to see all the new things that have or are being built and then came home to begin fixing our Thanksgiving meal. The Cajun turkey from Popeye's was delicious.

The morning has started out a little foggy, so maybe Rancho de Five is wanting me to feel at home. Our trip back didn't have any fog but just a little rain. Buddy did better than we thought and since we got an early start out from Ooltewah, we decided to come in to Houston on Tuesday night instead of Wednesday. Houston welcomed us back with lots and lots of traffic...lots of traffic. It felt a bit overwhelming. A huge praise, we got through Baton Rouge without hardly any traffic but then just enough traffic to slow down and catch a glance at Death Valley.

One last thing before closing out this post, it felt a little strange at first being here. Roy and I picked out everything together when building this house. We pulled out a lot of furniture for the NC house and even though I came back twice a year at first, the house felt strange this time. Roy has changed things, which he needs to do, he is much neater about some things and I envy that. The job of going through things began in our closet and it wasn't too much like work at all while discovering long forgotten items. We will probably make the first of many Goodwill trips later today.

So, back in Houston...I remember that not only my health is better in the mountains, but so is my hair. Ugh....

No comments: