Thursday, May 19, 2011

I'm Back in Buddy's Good Graces

Some days away on Rosemary Beach does a whole lot of good.  I am a big fan of 30-A in the panhandle of Florida, but I think of all the places I've stayed at or been to, Rosemary Beach has to be my favorite!  The little town square is beautiful, the beach is in walking distance, cute shops and even a new bookstore.  Our beach house was closer to the square and that was quite nice.  Rosemary Beach had a week of cool days with most afternoons warming into just the 70's.  I don't know if I got windburn or sunburn because the wind was fierce.  We picked an overcast day to go into Destin for shopping, lunch and a must required stop at The Donut Hole.  We also went to Greyton Beach and Sea Side several times.  The sand sugar white and the water emerald and shocking blue.  We saw sunsets and even saw one sunrise.  We ate at Wild Olives several times and never were disappointed.  We ate at La Creama twice, once for dinner and another time for lunch.  They serve tapas and chocolate.  Dena and I agreed, lunch was the better option of the two, but maybe that's because we had chocolate fondue for dessert.  Ah, it was awesome.  We loved the little beach house we stayed in.  Furnished so cutely.  The circular stairs did get a little old and we made each and every trip worth it because all it takes is one unnecessary trip back upstairs for something forgotten to cure one of forgetfulness.  The moon was huge and moonlight came through the windows every night.  Because mornings were so cool, in the 40 and 50's, we only had coffee on the deck once, for about ten minutes.  We even got to snack shop in the Winn-Dixie. 

Actually, we were to come back on Friday, but we had to cut the trip a little short.  Monday night Roy called and asked me to go someplace where I could talk to him alone, he had bad news.  Of course I thought, uh oh, the house, his job, my mother or Buddy.  It was none of those things, Dena's pet cat Sassy had passed away.  These pets, they take over a huge portion of our hearts and love.  Having to manage and cope with the passing of a loved one who has brought so much joy, fur, sleepless nights, and rearrangement of jewelry or anything else on top of a dresser is hard.  It is a shock and news too difficult to get one's brain around.  There are conversations and decisions that are difficult to handle between the tears and the lost ability to carry on your side of a conversation. 

Dena and I decided it was best to cut our trip short and return on Wednesday.  We had done everything we had come to do, shopped the stores we wanted to shop, and even worked in a stop at the Donut Hole.  We had endured a trip to the beach, complete with chairs and umbrellas and every beach towel within reach to wrap up in to keep warm.  We took all the obligatory photos and have decided a return trip is in order.  We drove back yesterday and we have also made another discovery, dividing up the trip into two days is more our style. 

This morning, I went and picked up Buddy from the Pet Bed and Bath Inn.  She came home with a much needed mani/pedi.  It has taken most of the afternoon, but Buddy is over being mad at me.  She's been sitting in my lap and "helping" me write this blog post.  I am trying to conquer the laundry.  I will confess, I am still a card carrying member of the over packer's society.  But that's the benefit of driving, the joy of having many things to chose for one's daily attire.  I broke my rule and bought books and some note cards while on this trip.  Two things I really don't have to buy for awhile.  Found some cute clothes and a vintage wooden tool box for the new home.  This trip had a ring to it.  Well, more like three rings to it because I found three rings that I couldn't leave behind in Florida.  If you are at Rosemary Beach this summer, stop in the shop Hissy Fits, cute clothes and jewelry at a reasonable cost. 

While we were in Florida, Roy was being the UPS man, getting Dena's keys from the pet sitter and delivering messages during the critical first 24 hours after receiving the news.  He is actually in Houma, Lousinana now on business and is returning home tonight.  Part of the reason, well that and the whole building a house thing, he decided he couldn't go on vacation.  So Dena and I met at Le Peep this morning to exchange keys.  We would have been eating at Another Broken Egg in Greyton if we were still in Florida, so we just changed to another breakfast place and then I went with her to the vets to give support as she made all the final decisions concerning Sassy.  Sassy had passed away from cardio myopathy.  Isn't God good that the very friend that is with her in Florida, knows exactly what that is and can explain it in detail because it is the very same heart issue that she deals with? 

I will post pictures soon. 

No comments: