Monday, May 9, 2011

A Prelude to a Firm Foundation

We have mixed feelings about the drought this area is experiencing. On one hand, we NEED the rain and it would be best to have it come in regular intravels rather than rain coming via a hurricane. Fields are a lovely burnt umber color, that is fields not regularly being irrigated. On the other hand, no rain speeds up the building process on the house. Grand Parkway construction continues onward probably ahead of schedule due to lack of rain. We thought for sure the rain would come last week because construction began in earnest on our home. Looks like another chance of rain will come on Thursday. Maybe the Army Corp of Engineers could figure out how to get some of that water from the mighty Mississippi over this way.


To write our weekend was full, well it would be true and somewhat of an understatement.  Roy stayed later at the office on Friday and came home pooped.  We opted to stay in and made dinner at home.  I had been out most of the day having a really good shopping day. The morning began with fasting blood work at the Doctor.  Then broke the fast at Le Peep.  Returned some things to the Nord, found a pair of great flip flops, had a productive trip to Macy's and found things for my upcoming trip at Academy.  I had totally forgotten there's an Academy at Westheimer and Voss.  So I hopped on over, OK, I drove, to Barnes and Noble.  I had my Nook with me.  Since I am not technically savvy, I had the guy update my Nook for me and now I can play Angry Birds on it.  Downloaded several interesting books onto it while I was there.  Came home exhausted but very pleased with my penurious purchases. 

Saturday, Roy took Sequisha into the dealership for an oil change and fluid check.  The appointment was at 7:15 AM.  He came by home and picked me up afterwards.  We went to breakfast, Le Peep again, and then headed to Memorial Bakery to pick up cookies for Sunday School.  Then we headed Katy way to look at the happenings on our lot.  The workman were busy and working hard.  We did have somewhat of a surprise though.  On the lot, formally known as our original lot had a SOLD sign on it...not Trendmaker but David Weekly!.  Me thinks there is something rotten in Denmark!  Truthfully, I was a bit more upset by this than Roy.  He doesn't care about the lovely landscaping that could be in front of brick fences, no he loves that our side of the street is built up rather high.  So, yes good drainage, although he must be looking for that rain drainage with eyes of faith.   We also like that our lot is wider than most and shorter than the others.  We barely have any yard to mow.  Now that's a blessing.  We will have an additional 8 feet of space on the East side of the house and the additional concrete being poured for an extended patio will take up space in the back.  It would have been nice for our sales consultant to call or email to let us know why all the sudden the lot that wasn't David Weekly's to sell now has a SOLD sign on it.  OK. back to the original thought, we left the lot and went over to KT Antiques to see if there was anything else I had passed over last week.  We found another vintage table cloth and a cute spice and canister set.  Stopped at the Katy tea room for more Irish brown bread and also picked up a loaf of carrot cake for Roy.  Got back on I 10 and made a detour to Basset so Roy could see and give his opinion on the furniture I had narrowed my choice to.  Then we went to meet the builder day at The Amish Craftsman.  What fun!  We finalized our choices and gave the go ahead since the foundation begins this week.  It takes about 90 days for pieces to be built.  We made some Amish people very happy with our purchases.  Since our order was over a certain amount, we got to take a chance on winning some $$$ and Roy picked a yellow balloon with $50 in it.  We also got an Olive Garden gift card.  So with his winnings, Roy took me out for a late lunch early dinner.  When we got home, I totally cratered and had to take a nap.  But we had such a fun day. 

Looks like the plumbing is in.




 A little more tilling of dirt
 The specious SOLD sign on our original choice of lot...
 This picture below is from our trip back out to the lot on Sunday.  Roy wanted to go out and take more pictures.  We stopped by the Bains before going home. 
 I'm so sure that this is so interesting to everyone. 
 A long distance look at our lot from our original lot




Today I am trying to take care of the little things that bug me about leaving on a trip.  Almost have all that out of the way.  I wish I didn't get so hung up on what to pack, what to wear on in car traveling days, etc...  I am such a mood packer, who knows what mood I will be in next week and will I want to wear what I brought.  The good thing is, there is plenty of shopping on 30-A.  That should help in case of indecision.  

No comments: