Sunday, September 4, 2011

Remembering Our Personal 9/11 Stories

Many of you know our 9/11 story.  You can read about it here.  Then in 2008 9/11 had another story for us.  You can read about it here.  This year is the 10th anniversary of 9/11/2001.  Already in the past few weeks there have been a lot of documentaries and shows revisiting that horrible day in September.  It has been difficult sometimes to watch these shows because in the back of my mind I am thinking about all the "what ifs."  What if we had gone?  Roy would have died for sure because his conference was in the World Trade Center.  Sometimes I can let my imagination run wild especially since I would have been one of those people wandering the street with a picture of Roy...asking have you seen him?  To be perfectly honest it would have to be a crayon crafted stick picture of him because I don't carry a picture of him in my wallet.  Note to self... 

Thankfully, most of the time I stop myself from wallowing in the what ifs and walk right into the thankfulness to God but there are those times I catch myself lingering a little too long...in the unknowing.  Tonight while doing my homework for Community Bible Study, the opportunity to walk right into the thankfulness and gratefulness to God happened while answering the homework questions.  This year we are studying Revelation.  It is exciting for sure, but there in the midst of homework was a personal reminder of the Lord when He walks through the fear filled times with us.  In Revelation 1, when John falls down as dead at the feet of Jesus after hearing the voice that sounds like great many waters, Jesus reaches out and touches John and tells him not to be afraid.  This is glorified Jesus with feet like brass, eyes like fire, with the great voice...touching and comforting John the Revelator.  Now this is not the first time that John experienced this.  In Matthew 17:1-7 on the mount of transfiguration, Peter, James and John are afraid and have fallen to the ground after hearing the voice of God.  Jesus goes over to them, touches them and tells them not to be afraid.  

Sometimes we think we are afraid of stuff...happenings...circumstances but we need to be honest, sometimes we are fearful when we sense the Spirit's leading and that voice that speaks to us in our innermost being.  His voice... 

Several times I have thought...especially since we are now in our new home, will 9/11 have any personal bearing on us this year?  I kind of have thought maybe it is in a 7 year pattern for us.  I don't know but I am so thankful that God still has us here and He has a purpose for us.  I like that our church service on 9/11 focuses on the HOPE of God...the hope that only comes through and with Him. 

1 comment:

Never Enough Food said...

Just read the other blogs. AMAZING! Also, I'm a blog stalker and love your blog :).