Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wordfull Wednesday...Can't Do Wordless Wednesday

Yesterday, I met Cassi for lunch at our usual meeting place.  I always look forward to our lunches and quick catch up on life.  We move through the latest happenings and then settle in for any in depth conversation that might arise.  Time goes by too quickly and she has to head back to the office.  Before meeting Cassi, a stop needed to be made at The Container Store.  The main reason for the stop, to buy replacement mop heads but as always there is way much more, great grammar, to peruse and place in the cart.  I ran into my tennis friend Mary on one of the aisles.  We don't see each other too often anymore but what a special serendipity to see her.  There was a schedule to keep, so I checked out with much more than I had planned on buying and then headed over to Whole Earth for a quick look see at the selection of Flax.  Not seeds or anything but the line of clothes.  They have about the best selection around.  Wasn't planning on that stop and once again left with more and I can't even say of what I planned for, because the Whole Earth stop was totally unplanned.  After lunch with Cassi I made the obligatory stop at Pottery Barn.  Originally, I had planned to go on over to Crate and Barrel but I was tired and decided to head back out west.  In that little bit of time on the freeway and a Dr Pepper Bold to pick me up, I made one more unscheduled stop, Lifeway to pick up Travis Cottrell's new CD.  Wouldn't you know it, I found a couple of books just sitting there waiting to be brought home. 

Last night it looked like we were going to get a good drenching.  The skies were dark, the lightning frequent and the weather report indicated hail.  We have never put both of our cars into the garage.  That is until last night.  Good thing we got the garage, I say we and of course I mean Roy, got the garage a little more organized and maneuverable.  With a quick rearrangement of garbage cans and bikes we were able to get both cars in...ooh, it is such a tight squeeze.  Just that one act of putting the cars into the garage probably jeopardized any chance of rain falling on our yard.  Only a few drops.  The storms which means the rain died out before getting south of Katy.  At least we know it can be done. 

Late Monday night Roy had to make a run to the 24 hour pharmacy to pick up some medicine for me.  Totally unplanned.  I sat here and worked on the blog to keep me occupied until he returned.  Once he got home and I took the meds, he went to bed, but I stayed up.  You never know with stuff if you'll have a reaction or not.  When I couldn't stay away any longer, I made my way to bed.  This was my first trek in making my way from his study to the bedroom in total darkness.  Even in the dark, you have some sense of where things are, that is if you have lived someplace long enough to remember where everything is.  So I made my way very carefully but somewhere in the living room I panicked.  Knowing that Roy would not be of any help if I awoke him from dead sleep, I maintained my cool and proceeded hoping not to crash into anything. I couldn't find the door way or the light switch to the bedroom entrance and somehow I found myself near the end of our bed but I couldn't feel anything, not the foot board, not the bed, nothing but air.  The thought went through my mind, am I dead?  Am I really touching something but can't feel it since obviously my hand is going right through it?  We have an ornamental iron bed, yet we still haven't an ornamental tree in our front yard, so instead of hitting any of the iron my hand was going through the scroll work.  I finally found the end of the bed when my toe hit the bed post.  Not dead, yahoo! 

Tomorrow I'm having lunch with several friends from tennis days.  I am looking forward to seeing them but fear has crept in, that all too familiar feeling from those days, who I am, what I have and what I wear will never measure up to these tennis ladies.  I am overly concerned about what to wear tomorrow...which is really stupid because even if I had that kind of money, I don't think I would wear designer clothes.  Some of these friends are regularly in the society section of the newspaper.  Well, there is something to be positive about, at least we can afford to buy a newspaper and see them at all the galas and fund raisers.  I am trying to be ever so laid back about tomorrow's lunch and have even prayed.  Maybe I should just pull out some old tennis togs...nah, I don't own tennis togs anymore. 

We are still discussing Sunday's sermon by Curtis.  His talk reminded me that before we moved I had started a book by Chip Ingram, Living on the Edge.  The book is based on Romans 12 thus there is a whole lot on what transformation looks like.  Picked it up last night and began reading.  Love this quote and definition of total commitment.  "Total commitment; when I come to realize what God has done for me, who He is, and what He has prepared for me in this new life (that I cannot see I eagerly abandon anything and everything to obey this fabulous, rich, rewarding eternal life He is offering.  It's not a matter of renunciation but one of reevaluation."

No comments: