Monday, February 13, 2012

A Winter Weekend Recap

What a great day to stay in except I have a couple of errands to run.  Overcast skies and steady rain.  Roy had to leave in the early morning for a flight to the OKC.  He'll be back this afternoon and I am so thankful he doesn't travel like he had to when we were first married.  I think the first six years he was on the road quite often but during part of that time I worked with him as an oil and gas auditor for non operating partners in joint venture drilling.  Oh, yea, that job was a perfect fit for me.   Actually, I enjoyed the work, it was like solving a mystery.  Granted when it came to the wrapping up of an audit and we were still looking in the nitty gritty details, I was over the mystery and ready to move on.  What I mostly dreaded about the job was, being in an office for a week or more and not being liked because, well, we were auditors.  I would try to let the office staff know we weren't that kind of auditor but I don't think anyone ever believed me.  Anyway, Roy was up at 4:00 am and out of the house at 5:15.  Of course, I would like to report that I stayed up and was productive, but after praying for Roy and his day, I hit the pillow and didn't wake up until I heard the melodious voice of Charles Swindoll. 

We had a very fun weekend.  Friday, Roy got home a little later than usual.  (they only work half days on Friday)  So he didn't really have any time to de-stress from the office.  We went to Lupe's for  an early dinner and headed into town for the Tim Hawkin's show.  Since we had senior adulted our dinner and we were running way early to arrive at church, we stopped in at Lowe's to get some potting soil and a stain chip to send to the HOA for explanation of our fence.  It was good to get that taken care of so that we didn't have to devote time to it on Saturday.  We arrived at church, where I dropped Roy off so he could go in and save us seats.  He did good and we had seats in the center of the balcony.  We sat with David and Emily.  When the show was over my cheeks and stomach were sore from so much laughing and the eye make up was nonexistent.  The show was sold out.  Now this is something I don't understand beyond the obvious but churches are enablers for late arriving people.  Several times a plea was made from the stage to scoot in if there were any vacant seats next to you.  No one moved, no not one.  A few minutes later, the same request was given, scoot in.  No boot scooting or any other kind of scooting took place.  Now really, the request punishes those who came on time, this was general seating, to pick the seats they wanted and now are being asked to move.  Since Roy and I are tall and aisles are not usually constructed with people over 6' in mind, we like to get end seats for the leg room.  Others like to sit on the end to be able to leave or move about comfortably until the pilot turns on the seat belt sign.  Really, scooting in is biblical, the first shall be last and the last shall be first, but not moving is also know like the tree standing by the water, I shall not be moved.

Saturday morning Roy and I went to Otto's for breakfast.  Afterwards, we went over to the farmer's market and got more tomatoes.  Roy also had to take some pictures of doors and windows for his homework assignment in his photography class.  Now there one has to be a little careful because one could be arrested for being a peeping Tom or something.  We found enough uninhabited places for him to snap.  We went to K T Antiques and took pictures of the display windows.  They are always very cleaver and interesting.  We left Katy and took off for Brookwood.  Needed to get a couple of plants and look once again through the Easter things in the gift store.  Our excursion was short this time because Roy needed to return home and get some paperwork ready for his trip. 

After a two week sabbatical, we were back at church.  Loved the choir numbers and congregational singing, oh and the sermon wasn't too bad either.  I went to Sunday School, I mean Life Bible Study with Roy.  Great lesson by David Taylor.  He is teaching on Isaiah.  After church we went to Goode Company Bar B Que.  I have been craving jalapeno sausage and Goode Company sauce.  We were in two cars because the second Sunday is Roy's early prayer Sunday.  He went to the grocery store for us and I came home to take a nap. 

Last night I met Emily at First Methodist Westchase to Gerald's hymn sing.  I hadn't been to one in a long time.  I was especially looking forward to hearing John Bolin and Jill Hoffer.  It was a pleasant evening.  A lot of hymns that I have totally forgotten about were sung including a couple that were my mom's favorites.  When we sang Shall We Gather at the River, the older lady behind me sang in that quavery, weak, older, slightly off key voice and that brought back fond memories of my grandmother singing in church.  Afterwards it was fun seeing and talking with friends that I haven't seen for a while.  A little sleet and rain greeted me on the drive home.  Roy was going to sleep early and since I was a little wired, I stayed up watched the DVR'd Downton Abby and then flipped between the Golden Girls, the History Channel and Investigation Discovery TV.  Can I tell you I had some of the strangest dreams last night.

Looks like the rain has ceased for the time being, so I better hit the streets and get back home before another wave hits.  Happy Monday!

No comments: