Saturday, September 9, 2017

Going For More, Happy 40th Anniversary Sweetie

Forty years ago today, wow that makes me feel old writing this, Roy and I were married. We met at Pennzoil, he worked in audit and I in treasury. He asked if we could go out to lunch when he returned from his trip to Brussels. So six weeks later we went out for lunch and he took me to Charlie's 517. That was a fancy restaurant back in the day. Lunch that day didn't go as planned as he found me to be the shallowest  person he'd ever met and I found him the most arrogant. It came as a surprise when he asked me out for a date to a concert and I told him I already had a date for that concert. He asked me out again and I had plans with family welcoming a much beloved pastor of my grandparents for dinner but I nixed doing that and went out with Roy instead. My life was forever changed from that moment. We fell in love.

Because he was scheduled for another long business trip to Brussels, we set the date for our wedding to September instead of May as we originally planned. So on September 9th, two total opposites got married and lived happily ever after....well...that wouldn't totally be true cause we argued a lot, disagreed a lot but through all that ticky tacky we continued to love each other. I don't know how people who don't know the Lord make it cause marriage is hard, especially in the beginning. Most couples, like us, come into the deal with our own matching sets of baggage and by hard work, love and prayer, through the years hopefully all that baggage can be discarded and maybe all that you have left is a small carry on and a personal bag.

We have walked through wonderful and carefree times and difficult, chaotic times. Times of abundance and times of managing resources. We have made some dumb decisions and we have made good decisions.

Last night after I got home from a choir party, we talked for the longest time. About all kinds of things, from trivial to pressing issues..i.e. Irma... We laughed and cracked each other up. We made plans for the coming weeks. He asked about concerns I have and then we prayed. I love him so much!

Yep, forty years ago today neither one of us knew exactly what we were doing...but today, forty years later I'm glad we began this wild adventure together...and not that we exactly know what we are doing still but we have the best companion/spouse for the rest of our journey together.


No comments: