Friday, September 1, 2017

ThurFri Catch-up

We are having a gentle rainy afternoon here in the mountains. It seems like we don't have these too often. The sound of raindrops hitting the metal roof is a great lullaby. We needed the rain. Plants and gardens were drying out. It doesn't take much for water to evaporate here. It will make pulling out the rest of the dead sunflower plants easier this weekend.

I had an early morning dental appointment and my friend Brenda volunteered to ride along with me. The appointment was at 7:50 am. Ugh, that is early. Brenda is an early riser and she has taken me to my two appointments where I needed sedation. Everything is looking good with the healing from dental surgery last Friday and Praise the Lord, he took out the stitches. They have been rubbing a few raw spots that are painful. Removal has prompted a little more pain and swelling but that should go down by this evening. After the appointment, we had breakfast at the Corner Kitchen. I love it when I can take a local to a restaurant they haven't been to before. Corner Kitchen has some of the best breakfasts going or coming or standing still. I had worked up quite an appetite after the snipping of stitches so a pancake was added to my regular choice, Biltmore Breakfast. We left and went to Home Goods, for good measure because this is the time that all the fall decor comes out. Not that I need any new fall decor but I did find two cute rustic metal pumpkins for the front porch.

Roy went into downtown Houston this morning and is in the office today. I really didn't want him to take the chance but he has had a pretty bad case of cabin fever for the past two days. He couldn't go volunteer because he needed to be working from home. Now, I hope he gets home ok. He called me while I was at the dentist to tell me that Colonial Pipeline was shutting down today and to get gas. Colonial supplies most of the petroleum products along the southeast and east coast. I also got a frantic text from him this afternoon telling me to top off the tank because prices are going to be sky high. I had already beat him to the punch by going to the Gulf station and filling up the rest of the way after dropping off Brenda. Usually I would go to Shell or Exxon but I hated to make the farther trip and not be able to get fuel. When I arrived at the station all the pumps but one were being used. In this area it pays to have a husband who stays in the know about these things.
*******************************
The removal of stitches turned out to be a little more painful than removal of staples from knees. By last evening I had some swelling and pain. I wrote about this last night but the pain didn't go away as quickly as hoped. I had to take a pain pill to resolve the issue. I thought I would sleep really well with that in my system, but it wasn't to be. It was a kind of toss and turn night. Even with a huge lack of sleep I awoke this morning rested and my mouth feeling much better. As a precaution, I cancelled with Taylor today. We will return to the normal appointments after next week.

Talked with Roy this morning as he began his drive into downtown. First he wanted to see if the donut shop he likes was open...it was. Every Friday he brings donuts to the office. And he made it into the office. EPD has opened up parking in the building for those able to drive in. I think Tuesday is the target date for park and ride options to return.

It is unreal to be watching the updates from Houston. So many affected, so many working to ease by helping with the needed tasks. The different styles of "reporting" is varied. One pastor keeps on point and keeps it short while the other, packs as much info in as possible in the short time period he has chosen via social media. One is just this is what's happening, here's what we need while the other has a marketing ring to the info. Both are good, both are doing the job, both honoring Jesus...just different styles. That's good because if marketing isn't your thing, you'll be drawn to other updates. If marketing speaks to your being, there is a place to go help, serve and be the hands and feet of Jesus. I love how God uses everything to speak to us.

A much needed work day is in order around here. Dena left last Thursday and I have only done a little picking up and cleaning. Mainly, I was too tired to do it and then the days this week have been busy, so today is the day. We had a little rain this morning and a breeze is blowing. A good breakfast and I'll be on the way to working around here.


No comments: