Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Doing The Hard Things

This will be the understatement of the week with everything going on in Houston and watching from afar as they go through these trying times, but we all find ourselves gutting it up and doing the thing we don't want to do. Last week when Doug and Dena were here I went down to the bird feeder in the front yard and there in front of the swing lay a female cardinal with a broken neck. She must have flown into the stand. The temptation is to let nature takes it course and those hungry, hungry ants would be upon her soon enough. I went back to the garage and got the big shovel out and dug a hole in the backyard to bury this bird that has done nothing but give me pleasure with her singing and presence. Once that had been accomplished, back down to the front to scoop up the bird and take her to a final resting place. I stood still in silence for a minute while a cardinal from a distant tree sang a beautiful song. When it finished I picked her up and took her to the back. I placed her gently into the ground, covered her and said a few words of thankfulness for her. I marked the spot with some small rocks. It was an emotionally hard thing in that moment. Today, once again, I had to do something I didn't want to do. The dryer sounded an alarm that it was getting too hot, probably because I had too many clothes in it. So, to the backyard once again,  first with a step ladder that was too short to do the job and then with a ladder to clean out the dryer vent as good as possible. I took my Norwex long cleaner/duster with me and pulled out a lot of lint. Because I didn't think I could move the dryer that well, I cleaned out the lint trap really well with the dryer brush, put a smaller load in the dryer and continued on with those pesky laundry duties. I left the ladder out there for a bit just in case...but soon enough I was able to take the ladder back to the garage. Like I said these are small dislikes compared to the daunting task that lies ahead for many people in Texas. On a phone call with Roy this afternoon as he told me about the water feature draining so well that the sidewalks and going under the street to continue on to Spring Lake was water free...wow! Good news. We also discussed his planned trip for next week and we both knew the correct decision was to cancel those plans because by next week, they should be able to return to their downtown office building. Which, by the way, the barriers erected for such a thing...a flood, did their job and no water, not even in tunnel that connects with other buildings underground was not wet. This particular trip is poignant in that we will be celebrating our 40th anniversary next week. Only, maybe, not in the way we had planned. And in those forty years I have come to love and appreciate Roy's steadfastness and loyalty, to do the right thing. We know this is the right thing...we may dislike it but we are emotionally gutting it up being thankful he has a good, no a great job that he loves and our celebration will just get postponed until later in the month. He doesn't love his job more than me, whew, but it is the correct and right thing to do. Now I can attend a choir party and the big sale at Robin Blu....not that I think those are more important, but they sure sound fun.
*******************************
It is official. Roy cancelled his flight reservations this morning and we both have peace about this decision If he can, he will go into the office tomorrow. Prays appreciated for that trip.

The stories I am hearing from Houston is truly a Houston and Texas thing, although I believe North Carolina is a close sibling to Texas heart and desire. Thinking what a great man Jim McInvale, better known as Mattress Mac to Houstonians. He owns Gallery Furniture. This man began his business under a large tent, selling furniture in Houston. So many considered him a joke from his commercials but through the years his business succeeded. Now he has several locations. We bought a recliner from them last year when I first came back to Houston to prepare for bilateral knee replacements. They were so helpful online and in person.

This morning when I had to show my ID for my echo cardiogram, everyone asked do you know anyone whose home was flooded? Sadly, I know too many yet there are many who did not have flooding and are volunteering. I think Roy would be doing that but he is at work at home. I asked him tonight if he likes the commute time. He went to Kroger and picked up an odd assortment of groceries.

I will say I liked my echo cardiogram here better than in Houston. First of all, I never get those three piece gowns on without ripping them because they are paper. Had to wear an old fashioned hospital gown and I liked it. Easy to put on. For the first time ever in my history of echo cardiogram, a young woman administered the scan. The man who does it at my Houston cardiologist is rather creepy and always wants to clean up the gel on you. Megan, the nurse who administered it today said, gross, no one wants someone all up in their business. Yes, words to live by that are so true.


No comments: