Sunday, August 27, 2017

Houston's Harvey

I watched a spider trap an ant today and not only did the ant get wrapped up neatly in the web, but the spider must have been hungry, cause it ate that ant likity split. The ant had been foraging for food on a sunflower head before I cut it off the plant and put it in the garage....where the spider lurked in the recesses of the bag of potting soil. Kind of reminded me of my hometown and Harvey. Houston got wrapped up in the rain, is still wrapped up in the rain but hope lingers there on the horizon but there is no hope for the ant.

It is difficult to watch such devastation to the city you grew up in, got married in and generally lived most of your life in. Roy has been fortunate that the area of Katy where he is currently has had hard rain but has also had breaks from the rain, giving the water feature and lake time to drain into the nearby bayous. I've checked on friends via text and Facebook. I've watched the Weather Channel and sometimes I forget that I am not there and when I think of going someplace, I hesitate....because of the rain...that isn't here. My heart and mind are so much in Houston.

Today, I saw that a friend once again has experienced her home being flooded. She has just recovered from a knee replacement and now, once again...her home floods. She isn't there but a neighbor is keeping her updated. When I saw her comment, I sat here and cried for her. Then in the midst of tears I remembered I cannot blow my nose for two weeks after surgery...so it was interesting to take care of the excess....well, you know. I also have to sneeze a particular way and if I don't my eye could swell shut. Of course I haven't sneezed so much as I have in the past few days. The worst part of the bone grafting and sinus lift prior to implants was being allergic to the pain meds they gave me. That made yesterday a terrible day but the headache and throwing up tipped me off that I was allergic. So, I am not supposed to spit for two weeks...I really tried to be gentle in my upchucking.

This morning on Channel 13, Houston, I watched a Catholic priest being interviewed. He was in a kayak. He had been in his truck all night stranded on the freeway and happened to have his kayak with him. He watched from his truck as people gathered on high ground. That's when he pulled out his kayak and paddled to the convenience store to buy wine so he could offer communion to the group. But it was before noon and he wasn't able to buy the wine due to the Sunday alcohol laws. He kind of laughed about that since he wasn't used to buying wine on Sunday mornings. He gave a great testimony of his love of the Lord, he is a charismatic catholic priest. The news guy just let him talk and testify. It was one of those moments that makes you proud of being a believer from Texas.

I have many more thoughts but I am oh so tired. Just talked with Dena, so she and her mother and mother's friend are all safe and sound at Dena's home. Roy was going to bed early. We have talked so many times and in the middle of the night. Lisa P has power once again.

No comments: