Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Projects and Rain

There is a definite shift in temps with a rainstorm just north of us. The wind picked up and I have heard a bit of thunder but I don't know that we will get any rain out of this. Ooh, there was a big thunder! The sky behind us is dark and foreboding and the sky in front of the house is cloudy with the sun peeking through the clouds a bit.

Mike the mower man just left which makes the birds rather happy because there be worms in that there grass. Mike trimmed the back for me and even picked up limbs I was going to take care of today. It seemed it would be good to let them dry out a bit and make for easier cutting.

Yesterday I had a delightful day...by myself, ensconced. I had a lunch invitation but I respectfully so declined the generous invite. It seemed the farthest I would go was down to the road to pick up the trash receptacle. It was a wonderful day of doing projects and feeling pretty accomplished with the drill. No schedule...nothing required...just lots of music helping me along the way. Finished up with setting out fall decor. A little time to read...and to think and to write. And I made sloppy joes for lunch. Delicious and today's lunch was a reprise and maybe even a little tastier than yesterday.

Sunday, after church, I went to Ace Hardware for their big September sale. While there, I got some instructions on how to hang the flag kit and how to hang the holders for hanging plants. The first two projects yesterday kind of went without a hitch, but the third project presented some problems that only a trip to Lowe's or Walmart could solve. To save time the choice was Walmart because there were a few things I wanted to get if they had them...Ingle's and Publix were out. Found what I needed for the project and found what the other stores were out of....then I found a few other things. Lisa P and Roy must have some kind of alert system letting them know I am in Walmart. Both of them were texting me while there. There weren't too many people at Walmart but I might have done some nonchalant scanning of grocery carts seeing if people were doing regular grocery shopping or if they might be stocking up on non-perishables just in case some part of Hurricane Irma might come our way. There have been a few Tweets that our area should stay aware of the Hurricane Irma situation.
**********************************
This morning the traces of rain throughout the night cover the landscape. One of the trees in a distant neighbor's yard is ever so slightly beginning to turn from green into fallish colors. Clouds drape themselves over the mountains.

I did something so stupid last night. It seems under the guise of I am an adult and can eat whatever I want to for supper. Just guacamole and chips for supper is not a good idea. All throughout the evening there was that lingering feeling inside that all was not well. I went to bed early only to awaken after thirty minutes of sleep to have to make that mad dash to the bathroom to throw up. Ugh! Still being under the no straw, no spit, no blow your nose edict until Friday, one has to be very careful in the approach and aftermath, so to speak. I did feel a little better and headed back to bed. I don't feel a 100% this morning and it seems like a good morning to read or write or maybe even attempt another never-ending project.

The stories on FB concerning traffic nightmares in Houston tell the stories of people negotiating travel to work without some of the major north to south routes not open yet because the streets are still under water. Roy said it could be this way for three months. Wow! Some spent hours just going a few miles.

The third phase of outdoor projects on the front porch have been completed. The screws I found at Walmart did the job. So now there are three hanging basket hooks that might see some usage this fall but more likely in the spring. Told a friend I am getting so good with a drill, I might go to dental school. Yea well, no. I hate looking into my mouth much less someone else's.

No comments: