Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Happy Kneeversary!

Tomorrow will be the one year anniversary of bilateral knee replacements. Excited to be one year out from a dramatic life changing procedure. Those three weeks, one in the hospital and two at the rehab hospital were some of the toughest and hardest weeks but I knew the end result would be worth the pain. Last week while going through a basket of books that accompanied me to Texas and back I found the small notebook they give you at the hospital to make notes and there in that little notebook, loved the use of lined brown kraft paper, was a list of times...and in a wobbly, sedated handwriting. I have no clue what I was keeping track of. In the hospital I had to have two units of blood and I still believe I got the blood of a petite woman who is always freezing because my core temp has not been the same since.

The other night looking through last years printed version of Monablog once again such an overwhelming sense of gratitude because the Lord answered my prayers of arranging to have the right people in place for the best recovery and to be like the little girl that Jesus raised from the dead. Believe me after all the years of struggling with knee pain, life seemed dead. He took her hand, she stood up and walked, people were amazed and then....give her something to eat. The food was really bad at Methodist Katy, but they started me out on solid food. None of this broth and Jello diet. Also, don't let people's opinions of your recovery written in the official notes determine the outcome. The hospital PT wrote me off the minute they stood me up and I fainted...see needed two units of blood reference. Her notes affected the future PT's attitudes. I am telling them I am motivated, very motivated and they are reading notes that might say otherwise. Even overcoming that situation was such a God thing because after reading the notes and talking with me, the interviewing PT person at the at rehab hospital placed me with the PT person who got all the tough recovery and unmotivated people. That was fortuitous for me because she believed me over the notes written about me and Jasmine and I hit it off from the first workout.
**********
At least I am consistent in that it seems to take a day or two to write a post these days. Buddy just came downstairs for her early morning snack and has headed back upstairs for another nap. I had thought about going several places today but opted to stick close around here. It's not like I don't have things to get done around here. Last night I made a huge dent into getting small Christmas items up in the house. In the midst of this I realized I did not come home with all my stuff I bought from Lowe's. Maybe someone turned the bag in but somehow I doubt it. At least I got home with most of the the things I bought.

So, happy kneeversary to my two knee replacements. So happy to be here rather than there last year. Once you get past the surgery pain it gets easier and just like so many told me, every three months you see marked improvement. I'm also happy to have found Taylor and he has helped me so much with functional fitness. My balance has improved as well as getting a natural walking gait back. And as a serendipity, my left shoulder soreness and pain is pretty much gone. Taylor knew exactly what was causing it and the stretches he helps me with has improved my rotator cuff immensely.

The day beckons and I am sure the birds out back would like a refill in the feeder.


No comments: