Thursday, November 2, 2017

What A Day November 1st!

I am so tired but so happily tired. Last night Newfound Baptist Church had its Fall Festival. I signed up for Trunk or Treat after having so much fun doing that several years ago. I had been thinking about the theme for the back of the truck and I had some good ideas but as I am wont to do, I waited till the last minute...but eureka, the last minute theme that came together was a rather cute one. I took some of my sheep, a lighted trellis, battery operated lanterns, a bale of hay, a bucket and basket, red gingham checked table cloth and some metal pumpkins and came up with the sheep herder, rancher or farmer theme. Add a lawn chair to that and you have trunk or treat. Roy and I had bought a bunch of candy at Walmart and I just about went through it all plus a bag of candy from the church supply. Such cuties in costumes and then there were costumes I didn't understand...at all. That's ok. Just like in 2015 the children were so well mannered and almost to a t, didn't forget their thank you as they moved along to the next trunk. We finished up about 8:00 pm. It was easy getting all the sheep stuff stowed away in the truck and although temp wise it was a pleasant fall evening, it took a while for me to warm up upon arriving home. I heard 800 hot dogs were prepared and I had one...it was good.

Once I arrived home it was unload trunk or treat and load up oil change stuff for the truck appointment this morning. ShequishShawn had a 8:00 am appointment. Got there, filled out the paperwork and then hopped into Brenda's car to go eat breakfast. We tried CA in Weaverville. Good food and great prices. Then Brenda took me over to Harris Teeter because I hadn't been there before. Great store and there is a Duck Donuts nearby. We bought some of their made to order donuts for later. We then made a stop at Sanctuary of Stuff and I found a couple more of the cute flannel shirts, alpaca wool socks and a picture of a bear, in the top of a tree painted on burlap. It says Leaf Peeper Bed and Breakfast. Too cute to pass up, that is for sure. I hung it in the living room and all the colors go perfectly. We made a quick stop at The Cottage Door and the gift shop at Reems Creek Nursery. Over to the mechanics and SequishShawn was ready with his new dancing/driving shoes. We finished out the day with lunch at Turkey Creek. I learned a lot of new places to visit this morning. Who knew a day with your truck being serviced could be such a fun day. Of course all the fun from last night and this morning caught up with me and I zoned out once I came home. Grabbed a little nap and contemplated getting a few more things done...so far it has been all contemplation.
**************************
The Giants win the pennant, the Giants win the pennant... No, the ASTROS won the World Series last night!!!!! Please excuse the over usage of exclamation points but it seems well deserved for a city and a team that has waited 56 years for this to happen! If you grew up in Houston the usual in sports, except for the two years the Rockets won the NBA championship, was to prepare the, "we'll get them next time" mantra. More disappointment and heartbreak when it has come to our hometown sports team doing well but that all changed last night with the Game 7 win of the Astros vs Dodgers. I teased I did my part by only following on Twitter till they made the second out in the bottom of the 9th. Only then did I feel like it was safe for me to watch the last out. YES! They did it! I was clapping and screaming and scaring Buddy, but I didn't care. This lifetime lover of baseball was so happy last night. Before going to sleep I thought about all the hours of time I spent in the backyard as a child with my father's flat baseball glove throwing a ball into the air and catching it time after time...even sometimes throwing the ball onto the slanted roof to practice catching. That lasted until one of my parents came outside, telling me not to do that. It would harm the shingles. I watched the Cardinals play with my grandfather on TV during the summers I spent in Illinois. Then of course when the Astrodome came into being, dressing up to go to a baseball game and the must see tour of the Astrodome when family came to town. Roy has always been more of a college baseball fan, but he would go to games with me at MMP and watch the occasional game on TV. I cried tears of joy last night! Feeling all the happiness and joy of #earnhistory. I told Roy this morning I am going to need a t-shirt.

Do you remember the 1st night of November?  Party on, say do you remember...Astros won it all on the 1st day of November...




No comments: