Monday, November 27, 2017

Monday, Getting Caught Up

This morning I have discovered a new use for our Christmas tree...it is great at defusing the bright sunshine and the beams coming through the branches makes a lovely design on the floor. Once again this year we used the ornaments my mom made for us, a few beloved and long time ornaments, a few new ones and the added small stocking red and white gingham checked gift bags. I really like the simplicity of our tree and the emotional warmth to my heart it brings. The addition of the little sheep family under the tree is really nice.

When Roy and I were up around the high country last Monday, the Christmas tree farms were open, decorated and ready for people to come, pick, cut and purchase their tree for the season. Coming back from Charlotte on Friday, the other side of the highway was filled with cars and trucks that had been to those tree farms and most of these vehicles had two trees tied to the roof. I love a real tree but don't love the mess so several years ago we found a pre-lit tree and that has been a good choice for us.

Saturday morning I headed out to the grocery store and to support small business Saturday. I had just loaded the truck at Ingles when a man approached the truck. He had on a shirt a mechanic or service business would wear. He was trying to approach making sure I knew he was not there to cause harm or trouble. So I rolled down the window...I would never do that in Houston or Charlotte. And he said, I just have to ask you, what is a Baylor? That morning I wore a green Baylor t shirt with a Baylor sweatshirt over it. So, I told him what a Baylor is...named after Judge Baylor and the largest Baptist university in the country. He then told me his sister had worked at Baylor Medical Center in Dallas as a heart transplant nurse, she was now semi-retired in east TN now and worked as a traveling nurse. We had the nicest conversation. He was from Barnardsville and he asked if I was familiar with that town. Yes, we considered a house there when we were looking but it was too far from medical facilities. Side note, Roy and I talked about this very thing last week and decided the optimal time to live a distance from medical facilities was in your late 30's to mid 40's. So now, he knows what a Baylor is. On the way to The Fresh Market I stopped at The Pink House and found a few handmade goodies. On the way back I stopped at Reynolds Park where a vintage market has opened for the holiday season. It was fun looking around but nothing came home with me. I also stopped in at a very busy Sanctuary of Stuff. The rest of the afternoon I worked around here and also discovered a mamma cat and her three older kittens have set up a playground area underneath the butterfly bushes and ground cover. They are so cute. Of course, they have to stay just what they are, outdoor cats. They look like they might have belonged to someone or are outdoor cats of a nearby family....but I think that is wishful thinking on my part. They have come down into the yard for water and two of the kittens went under the deck...which no one knows what lives under there. So in hopes of scaring them back up to their playground, I went outside. Yep, did the trick. I will admit that Saturday around dusk, I put an old blanket out there because the nights are cold. When I checked on them Sunday afternoon, I could tell they have used the blanket to additional warmth. Their presence has certainly cut down on squirrel visits to the bird feeder and as far as I can tell, they haven't been able to get to the birds. That is a high priority on my list.

Saturday night the Aggie vs LSU game was on the SEC channel. It was a great game to watch....if you are a LSU fan. Being on Eastern time it is difficult to stay up and watch a whole game but we made it through to the end and even watched a few interviews. Sunday I went to SS and church and game home to have a lovely lunch of Fresh Market chicken pot pie. Then I worked on things for Friday night. When I took out the trash our neighbor was mowing his lawn. Roy has met Josh but I haven't. I tried to wave but he was focused on the job at hand but then as I went up the road, I heard the sound of the mower getting closer and there was Josh. We had a very nice conversation and he wanted to let us know that his barn-like shed was going to be moved over to the ground he had leveled and prepared in the spring. He hoped it wouldn't hamper our view. It won't and he said that he is going to paint the shed to match the house and maybe plant some apple trees. Very nice young man. Brenda came over for a quick visit and some early Christmas gifts....love love love them because they are all sheep and lamb related to the holidays even...and then I went to choir practice. Love the Christmas music we are doing! On the way home I saw a coyote on the side of the road, not as road kill, but looking like something on the prowl. It was a moment that's for sure. I try to remember to watch for deer but never think about a coyote...now I will.

Taylor texted me last night to let me know he is ill and wouldn't be able to have our workout time today. So, I am having an ease into the day kind of morning but there is plenty to be done and things to check off the list. First off, going up to check on the cats. Saw them stirring about earlier.





No comments: