Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Feral Fam, Fellowship, Flutters and Fibs

No, I haven't given up blogging but it seems I have been otherwise occupied and in the evenings when I had the time, too tired to write. Kind of like too legit, too legit to quit or something. Buddy is asleep on her new favorite blanket. Last year while recovering from knee replacements, I slept in the recliner because it was the only way to be comfortable and to get rest. Before surgery I had found this warm and cute Eddie Bauer blanket. I loved it, Buddy loved it and so did Roy. A great nap taking blanket for sure. When I came back here the blanket stayed there with Buddy. This year while shopping in Home Goods, per chance would I find another Eddie Bauer blanket for here? Yes! Different design but same great soft feel. After Buddy spent some lap time with me this morning, she has curled up and has ensconced herself into the warmth right here by the chair. That works cause this chair gets a little crowded with a computer, blanket, Buddy and me.

We are expecting rain and a cold front later today. So while I ran errands yesterday afternoon I looked for anything I could make a warm and dry home for the Feral Fam out back. A friend had suggested cutting a hole in a storage tote but the task seemed a bit daunting. Yes, once again Home Goods to the rescue with the Cat From Hell guy's tunnel and connecting square space. Solid bottom, covered top, window and covered "doorway" to the entrance. Tight quarters for sure but extra warmth is the benefit. Put it together, made a modification or two, added some warm throws and old towels and took it up to their living area. Put it next to the blanket and toy arranging it where it would be least affected by the wind and elevated it a bit as not to have water get into it. The fam was a little late rising this morning so hopefully that signals they were feeling safe and sleeping in. Took them some food and water, they have eaten, played a bit and probably are taking the first of many naps today.

Last week the focus was getting ready for Friday evening. The past few years the Embrace Women's Ministry has a progressive dinner to celebrate Christmas and fellowship together. Two years ago I hosted an entree home and I did the same this year. Our little home is packed but it feels cozy. The fine folks at Haywood Smoke House prepared our meal, brisket, mac and cheese and baked beans. I made my Amuse' salad to go along with the fixings. That brisket was so tender and tasty! Brenda helped me with everything and babysat me when I would get nervous that I had miscalculated timing and such. She helped me and by help I mean, she practically cleaned up the whole kitchen and then we went for dessert at church. The party was breaking up when we got there but we still were treated to some homemade pie made by Hannah. I am fortunate enough to sit next to her in choir even though she is a soprano.

Friday, I also had a cardiologist follow up appointment. The cardioversion in August has improved my heart function but I am having too many episodes of atrial flutter. Most of the time I have caught it fast enough that meds keep the flutter to short periods of time. We discussed another ablation that will happen in 2018 most probably. He can fix the flutter and repair the afib too while he is in there. So, I left happy with the results of the echo cardiogram and the plans for the future. But then...early Sunday morning around 2:00 am, I was returning from that necessary trip ,back to bed and when I laid down, I felt it...flutter city. Got up took the med that is supposed to minimize the irregular beat...didn't work. So I was awake until 4:00ish and then when I arose later that morning, I was exhausted! Went to church and it was a last moment decision of whether I felt good enough to sing in choir. Thankfully, I sit by a nurse, Lois and another nurse, Lorraine, sits in front of me. Made it through the service and our Christmas luncheon we had afterwards.  I came home rested a bit and felt like my heart wanted to go back into rhythm since taking meds after church. I went back to church early because I had agreed to help with judging the ugly Christmas sweater contest and Christmas wrapping contest for the children and youth party. Had a great time doing that and then upstairs for the remainder of choir practice. On Monday morning I woke up to sinus rhythm with only a few flutters here and there.

Probably contributing to conditions of flutters and fibs is the fact that I had a scrape with a telephone pole on Thursday and did about $2600.00 worth of damage to SequishShawn. Went to a local auto repair shop and met fellow believer TJ. He recommended a body shop down the way while encouraging me in the faith and also I do believe I have found the place to take SequishShawn in for oil changes, tire rotations and general servicing. My experiences with Fred Anderson Toyota haven't been that great. Sure do miss Jim Barkley Toyota. Anyway....the body shop can't repair the damage until December 18th. So until then I have the light taped up so moisture won't get in and as of today I am going to redneck the tail light with red saran wrap. Don't want to draw attention from sheriffs or police although I have been told they won't pull you over for just that. Not taking any chances!

Had my last workout with Taylor for awhile. Our schedules are full of holiday things and appointments. Hopefully, I can get in a couple of workouts before the end of the year. He has helped me tremendously and I recommend him. All this crawling about preparing a safe space for the Feral Fam and rescuing our trash can from the ditch across the road couldn't have happened without the focus on balance and not letting scar tissue build up in these replaced knees.




No comments: